unglazed tile or matte finished tile

Old 02-18-03, 12:07 PM
kar2000
Visiting Guest
unglazed tile or matte finished tile

Can someone please help me? How can I tell the difference between unglazed tile and matte finish tile? I plan on tiling a new house with one that seems unglazed and my tile people are not very knowledgeable. Sounds crazy I know but true! Thanks for any help you can offer.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-03, 12:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
....and we are going to do this on the Internet?

OK I'll try it.

Most "glazed" ceramic tiles should be real obvious because the surface will be a different color than the bisque (body). Be it matte or gloss. Usually red or grey or white (wall).

With the exception of commercial quarry tile, I know of no ceramic tile that is not glazed. The glazing on ceramic tile is the "wear-surface".

BUT...

Here's where it could get really confusing.

In the case of porcelain tile (which is also a form of ceramic tile) porcelain tile doesn't require any glazing but there is more and more glazed porcelain coming to market every day.

Porcelain tile will have the same color factors throughout the tile where standard ceramic tile will not. Glazed porcelain tile will also have a different appearance on the surface.

I know I know: Clear as mud!!!

What tile do you have in mind and WHO (pray-tell) are your "tile people"?

Old 02-18-03, 12:45 PM
kar2000
Visiting Guest
tile glazed or unglazed

Ok thanks! That pretty much clarifies it for me, although I am sure your right, confusing is an understatement!
By tile people, I mean the sales people at the local home depot maybe I just went on a bad day but no excuse for them!
As for the kind of tile I have in mind, it is not porcelain, the color is only on the top and it has a rough texture stone like appearance, and seems to be unglazed or maybe just non-glossy is what it is.
I am told it is a good tile for all over the house, but am worried about it absorbing stains because the color is light and the texture being non-glossy seems like it might be porus. Is this true and should I change my tile choice before it's too late? Thanks again!

Old 02-18-03, 01:02 PM
The "stone look" is very popular today and in my opinion a "stone look" ceramic tile (or porcelain ceramic tile) is a better deal then the real thing. Especially the porcelains.

An authentic stone tile be it marble or granite or limestone (marble is limestone by the way) or any of the others is more susceptible to staining where glazed ceramic is not.

Glazed DOES NOT necessarily mean gloss.

I think you're safe and your selection would be a good one.

As far as getting accurate and up-to-the-minute information from a Big Box like Home Depot?????? That's not likely to happen. Stay with the Internet, that's your best bet.

You should also look into sealing the grout, I would recommend it.

Old 02-19-03, 06:18 AM
kar2000
Visiting Guest
Thanks once again Bud! You really know your stuff! I am even more informed now and will stick with my first choice and never go to home depot for advice again!
I am sure glad I have the internet to turn to I have found lots of good advice here and elsewhere and most tend to agree with you about HD. Should have sufed the net first, now I know better! Thanks!

Old 02-19-03, 01:40 PM
I hear it all the time about Home Depot but also about Lowe's and Menard's and all the other Big Boxes. You hear the most about (I guess) Home Depot because they are the biggest with the most stores.

In their defense (and I bash them a lot too) but in their defense any company that produces billions (B) of dollars annually in the home improvement industry has got to have some problems. Home Depot is doing one-helluva-job though. They can't keep help from turning over and they can't keep what help they do have trained as we wish they were.

A new Home Depot just opened here last month and the manager was interviewed by the local newspaper. She said that "If you have ever done a home improvement project at your own home and are now looking for work we want to talk to you".

This tells you were the employees experience comes from.

Old 02-24-03, 09:27 AM
H
I dont know

You have to understand that If you were an employee for one of those large home center then therefore you must live up to an unrealistic expectation that you know everything.
admitting that you 'dont know' the answer to a question
is an ego slap and a possible job security threat and therefore every question must receive an answer.

Responsibility therefore falls on the consumer to have their 'BS filter' turned on because many times you will get a subliminal 'not sure' 'or i dont know' kind of answer even though the employee sounded real confident in what they were saying.

if you want to asses the confidence level of an answer you are receiving then ask if they have done this particualar job before.
This question will usually place the anwer's weight in the right perspective.

I hate it when I get bad advice.