Commercial Quarry Tile

Old 02-19-03, 08:48 AM
llmichael1
Visiting Guest
Commercial Quarry Tile

I used unglazed commercial Quarry tile in a main floor bath and adjacent mudroom ( on the floor). An "expert" stongly recommended a finish even though I liked the appearance of the floor as is. I applied the finish (Home Depot brand tile finish) in the bath only. 2 yrs. later, the mudroom, a high traffic area, still looks wonderful while the finished tile, in the low-use extra bath, is yellowed, slippery, flaking in places and UGLY!. Once it becomes stained the stain is permanent as opposed to the unfinished tile which looks aged and beautiful. Is there an easier way than sanding (which works as opposed to the tile glaze remover tried already) to remove this finish? Sanding is hard and not giving terribly even results.

Old 02-19-03, 01:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sanding is the last thing you should do!!!!!!!!!!!

There are commercial strippers available that SHOULD remove the finish you applied.

Quarry tile is one of the least absorbent of any tiles made. This is why restaurants and hospitals and warehouses use the product. There is no reason (in my thinking) why you can't chemically remove the finish you have applied, it is ON the tile not IN the tile.

Many commercial establishments treat and wax their quarry floors but once you do it you have created an ongoing maintenance task until you undo it.

I'm sure you can fix it but DON'T SAND IT.

Call a Professional Flooring Maintenance Company to asses the situation but for God's sake don't depend on Home Depot for correct information of any kind.

Old 02-20-03, 05:24 AM
llmichael1
Visiting Guest
Thanks Bud for your prompt reply, I am heading out for a commercial stripper. (I only sanded in a small, out of view area so thats a blessing). Thanks again!

Old 02-20-03, 12:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'm sure you can fix it.

GOOD LUCK

Old 02-22-03, 03:54 PM
WJS_SR51
Visiting Guest
I deffinitely agree,,,, a stripper should remove whatever type of finish you applied. Once it is gone, there are several penetrating sealers you can apply to prevent stains. Consult the Quarry tile manufacturer for more information

Or US.

Old 02-22-03, 04:00 PM
WJS_SR51
Visiting Guest
PS. I installed tile for over 25 years and am currently working at a local Home Depot. I think that " I " have a pretty good idea about the tile industry but I can't say that for the others. Don;t expect every Home Depot employee to be an expert on everything,,,, or anything for that matter............. Bill

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: