Installed Ceramic Tile With No Sub-floor

Old 02-19-03, 12:12 PM
worried
Visiting Guest
Installed Ceramic Tile With No Sub-floor

We purchased a home 4 years ago and the first floor is practically all 12 by 12 ceramic tiles. And now that we are changing things in the basement ..we discovered large supports from floor to ceiling (the kind you hand crank to expand them). We asked our neighbor if they new who did the ceramic flooring in this house and they told us it was the owners (not proffesionals). They continued to tell us that after the previous owner layed the ceramic flooring they realized the floor was sinking--which explains the supports in our basement. How dangerous is this?

Old 02-19-03, 12:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I think the real danger lies in losing the tile installation to deflection. Your flooring structure should easily be more than capable of handling the dead load (static load) the tile is producing. It would be the movement of the entire system that would be the threat and I would think this threat has been put-in-check by the installaion of the additional supports.

This doesn't mean you shouldn't have the situation investigated by a structural engineer just to be safe. Your local government building department should have such a person. I think I would check it out just so as to sleep better at night.

You probably also shouldn't throw any big parties with a bunch of people moving around (dynamic load) until you know more

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: