ceramic floor installation on concrete

Old 02-19-03, 05:56 PM
schmad
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb ceramic floor installation on concrete

i have remodeled the basement , now its time for the floor.Ihave 850 s.f. Ive purchased 18x18 porcelain tiles .The floor is concrete ,no cracks & level.I want to set it in a diamond pattern as opposed to straight lines.Ive not attempted tiling before , but am very mechanical.(hvac contractor by trade)relatives of mine tell me we should tackle this ourselves.Such a large area! Am i crying wolf to soon.Is this a diy project with the right foerthought?Or do i stick to installing furnaces & leave the tiling to others?An estimate came in @ $2000.00 to install& they would supply the mortar ,i supply tile & grout ,this seemed a little steep?!comments appreciated. ds

Old 02-19-03, 06:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well ds,

I don't know where you are but the price you've been given is a good one, I wouldn't do it for that especially on the diagonal and furnishing the thinset too.

YOU CAN though. You're not really talking about THAT MUCH tile.

Get your plan (layout) together just like you would when designing HVAC supplies and returns and stay with your plan.

GO FOR IT!

Old 02-22-03, 04:13 PM
WJS_SR51
Visiting Guest
$2.35 a square foot to have tile installed is cheep in SW Florida and we are probilly the least expensinve market in the country.
You could spend $15 - $25 to buy a book on how to install ceramic tile, but how much could I save by installing my own A/C ?

But- do it your self is fun--- especially DIY A/C .

Bill

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: