How to start?

Old 02-19-03, 06:34 PM
jha8275949
Visiting Guest
How to start?

Mr. Cline

What would you recommend, going to a Home Depot store for the basics or try getting on as a helper with someone who Tiles for a living and just watch and learn, do you have any contacts in Glen Allen Virginia or Richmond Virginia I may talk to, I really like floor covering work, its interesting and you can see results both good and unfortunatley bad in time HA HA .
Please respond, Thanks in advance Mr. Cline

Sincerely,

Jim Hanley

Old 02-19-03, 06:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have life long personal friends in Roanoke but they aren't in the flooring business so no help there.

It depends on how serious you are and how much time and money you have. Not too far from you is the Ceramic Tile Education Foundation in Pendleton South Carolina. They teach it all and have a great website that will introduce you to their curriculim. The CTEF is overseen by its Executive Director Mr. Dave Gobis a multi-generational tileguy.

Hey Dave I think I just coined a new word: "multi-generational" What the heck does that mean anyway?

Any direct questions can be answered by emailing dave@tileschool.org.

If that doesn't appeal to you then look for someone in your area to hire-on with and don't be afraid to start out as a grunt for a short time, there's a lot to learn now days. The work can be very hard but the personal rewards are many.

You can also learn a lot simply by hanging around the Internet Forums and researching products on your own. It ain't gonna happen overnight though. The best teacher is hands-on but I think you know that.

Old 02-19-03, 07:52 PM
J
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The two-hour course at Home Depot is certainly worth taking, but don't think you can rush right home and start tiling. Go to your local public library. There will be good books and videos there on tiling. Get several, maybe even all of them.

Old 02-19-03, 09:56 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
find a source you believe in and stick to it...ie this website or another.......Consider it your training school and work with the advice until you have the confidence in your knowledge and ability to make your own decisions.

Do not mix in Home Depot or other big box "aisle" advice......unless the associate has at least 10 years of hands on experience working with a succesful tile company....Beware of Second hand and "sounds good" information which is meant with good intention however costly when incorrect.........

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: