a strip of tile above a fiberglass insert

Old 02-23-03, 12:31 PM
flavomax
Visiting Guest
a strip of tile above a fiberglass insert

can i put a strip of tile above the fiberglass shower insert? can i attach it right to the painted drywall with some kind of epoxy or adhesive? i want to do this because the paint keeps chiping and peeling away where the drywall meets the fiberglass insert.

any input would be appreciated.......thanks

Old 02-23-03, 01:02 PM
floorman
Visiting Guest
yes you can.You can use wall mastic to adhere it to the wall,caulk where it meets the plastic cause grout wont stick to it and grout the rest

Old 02-25-03, 05:42 PM
BoatCop
Visiting Guest
Clean all the caulk away from where the tub meets the wall, and rub with rubbing alcohol. Apply a new bead of silicone sealant around the tub and let dry.

Scuff up the paint with sandpaper to get better adhesion.

Install the tile using mastic, as floorman said. You can either use regular grout between the tiles, or use a suitable tile caulk. Home Depot stocks a good tile caulk, that comes in different colors to match or contrast to your tile. It's available in either sanded or unsanded formulations, depending on your preference and how wide the grout channel will be.

Whichever method you choose, leave about 1/4" or so between the tile and the tub top. Use caulk in this space rather than grout.

Lastly, make sure your tub is full of water whenever applying caulking around the tub/wall joint. If you caulk when empty, it will pull away when the tub is full.

Old 02-27-03, 11:04 PM
Trask B.
Visiting Guest
I would stay away from the mastic if water or vapor is remotely near, it just turns to mush. Use another adhesive that will last . A latex modified thinset will bond to drywall forever and a day, and it is not moisture or water sensitive. Caulking the joint where it meets the fiberglass is a good idea, but the joints in the tile can be grouted.
This is what a tile guy would do if he where charging you for it

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: