Ceramic Tile

Old 02-23-03, 04:41 PM
MyoMy
Visiting Guest
Ceramic Tile

Hi,
Can you install ceramic tile over a linoleum floor that is in good condition? Thanks, Joyce

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-03, 09:28 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
yes you can

Do a search run on this forum for 'tile over linoleum' you will get a variety of answers with that same question.

Old 03-01-03, 01:23 PM
Trask B.
Visiting Guest
In No case would I directly adhere to lino. It's just not a good substrait for tile to exist on. They go to great lengths to make things not able to stick to linoeum. There are cases where you can install backerboard over it , then tile. Whatever the situation you need to know what kind of floor it ( the linoeum) is over and the lino,cannot be cushioned.

Old 03-01-03, 01:49 PM
ee3
Visiting Guest
I'm with Trask on this one. It can be done but it is not recomended. AND to repete if it cusioned back I wouldnt.

Old 03-01-03, 06:27 PM
MyoMy
Visiting Guest
Thanks everyone. I will take the linoleum floor up before I lay the tile. Joyce

Old 03-01-03, 07:18 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceramic tile installation

If installing ceramic tile over wood subfloor, concrete underlayment board is recommended. Any movement in subfloor will tend to result in grout failure and possibly cracked tiles. It is possible to install concrete underlayment over vinyl and linoleum if you have proper underlayment. Installing ceramic tile directly to vinyl is not recommended, an install at own risk project especially if cushioned vinyl.