cutting ceramic floor tile

Old 02-26-03, 06:45 AM
chadt
Visiting Guest
cutting ceramic floor tile

I am in the middle of laying a small ceramic tile floor in the bathroom. In laying out the tiles before i actually set them in, I noticed a something, and i am not sure how to handle this. I need to cut out tile to fit around a vent opening in the floor. I am using 8x8 tiles. How in the world do i cut out this opening. I tried to layout the tiles without disrupting the flow, and I ran into this. It is a 12" opening. One tile I am able to cut for the middle, but a tile on each end will have to be cut for the opening. how do I cut these? A tile snipper will not give me a nice clean cut, and a wet saw would only give me two lines in. How do i cut the line that is parallel to the end? It is hard to explain....

Any suggestions?

my edit: I only have these two tiles to cut. thats all....

Old 02-26-03, 07:19 AM
Group Moderator
Received 65 Votes on 54 Posts
Two thoughts come to mind:

1. A carbide rod-type blade in a hacksaw frame.

or

2. Make your two perpendicular cuts and draw a line between the cuts. Then carefully make a score line with a chisel and snap the piece out like cutting glass.

The pro's should be along with other ideas. Just my $.02 worth.

Old 02-26-03, 07:30 AM
chadt
Visiting Guest
I tried the hacksaw type tool. I worked on cuttin for over 20 mins. and got about 1/8 of an inch in. These are some tough tiles! The scoring idea is a good one, but i'd hate to rent a wet tile saw for 4 small cuts. Its also 5 degrees today, and that is a little cold for the hose. I'll have to do it in the basement if i have to. Maybe someone will come up with something that we haven't thought of. Very good idea though.

Old 02-26-03, 03:14 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi
You will need a wet saw to cut those, or a diamond blade in an 4" angle grinder...but, why not mark the tile and take them to a tile shop or even Home Depot and have them cut them for you? For a couple of bucks they are done, and you don't have to rent or buy a saw.

Old 02-26-03, 08:29 PM
chadt
Visiting Guest
You have got to be kidding me.....HD can do this for me? Or a tile shop? Why haven't I thought of this? Could be the lack of sleep.......2 days and 12 broken tiles later I may get to finish this floor yet......Hopefully Hd can do this for me, if not a tile shop, thanks for the open door.

Old 02-26-03, 09:19 PM
J
No. Home Depot will not make a "U" shaped cut for you. The sign at their tile saw says what they will and will not cut, and the "U" shaped cut is out.

I just got done making many of the exactly the same cuts as you need. Cut the two outside lines with your wet saw, then make a series of cuts parallel to the first two, about 1/4" to 1/2" apart. You can then break off the fingers, and use a tile nipper to even it out. With an 8x8 tile, you will need to be very careful not to break the narrow edges that are left. If the amount of tile to the side of the cutout is small, it may be hopeless and you may need to just cut an "L" piece and fit the other piece separately.

You don't need a perfect cut. The register will cover up the edges. Even if you end up with two pieces, the register lip will cover up much of the grout line between them.

Old 02-26-03, 09:31 PM
A
Well maybe all Home Depots are not alike..because my local HD will do these cuts for you...it can't hurt to ask I suppose?..besides if they wont make the U shape, have them cut the strips as John suggested and you can nip them out your self.

Old 02-27-03, 05:04 PM
tiler
Visiting Guest
cutting tiles

I just layed a ton of 4 inch tiles and used a rotozip with a tile cutter blade and did just fine

Old 02-27-03, 05:20 PM
J
tiler, were those FLOOR tiles?

Old 02-27-03, 06:49 PM
J
Hi folks,

Tiler,

You were undoubtedly cutting relatively soft wall tiles. You won't cut floor tiles with a roto zip whatever.

Old 02-28-03, 06:09 AM
chadt
Visiting Guest
Hey guys, just an update:

I called HD, they said just bring them in. If it was a large amount, i'd have to call ahead. I marked my tiles and they were able to make the long cuts in. the guy that helped me, took it an extra step. After the cuts, we went over to hardware where he scored the tiles, took a few clamps off the shelf and took a hammer off the shelf, and popped out the cut tile portion for me. Worked great. He didn't even charge me for the cuts! Customer service at a large chain? believe it or not, it was great customer service.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: