Removing old floor for ceramic tile

Old 02-26-03, 09:44 AM
jphavener
Visiting Guest
Removing old floor for ceramic tile

First, I don't know if I am putting this in the correct forum. I have been asked by a friend to help him lay ceramic tile in his half bath. The reason that he asked me is that he has wood floors in there now and he is sick of having the toilet leak and having to have the wood fixed.

Just for clarification, this is a cement slab house.

I have layed tile before, however I have never pulled up a wood floor to do so. Are there any tricks to pulling up the old floor? What do I use to cover the joint between the two floors when I am finished?

Finally, a builder friend of his said something about laying down a membrane then a backer board since the toilet had leaked before. I have always just layed the tile on the cement as long as there were no cracks or other issues. Should I consider this membrane/backer board combo or should I just lay it the way I know?

Thanks,
Jeff

Old 02-26-03, 03:55 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi Jeff,

If the concrete is in good shape I would install the tile directly to it using a modified thin set (Versa Bond at Home Depot). Getting the wood out is sometimes easy, sometimes not. Pry it up.

Old 02-27-03, 06:18 PM
bamboo
Visiting Guest
Thumbs down No Ads Allowed

see www.xxxxxxxxxxooring.com
==============
Web Hosts Note:

Advertisements within the forums is not allowed.
Solisitations to moderators or members are also prohibited.
Personal web sites are also not allowed. Especially if they contain ads, advertisements etc or any means, methods or inticements to sell products or services.
Failure to comply to a request to stop posting ads within the forums or sending solisitations to moderators or members will result in further actions.

Tom_B

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 02-27-03 at 08:42 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: