Ceramic tiles

Old 03-31-03, 06:36 PM
Firsttimers
Visiting Guest
Ceramic tiles

Hi.

Installing ceramic floor for first time. Need help. I have removed 1/4" underlayment and have exposed subfloor consisting of 41/2" wide boards (1/2" thick) running 45 degrees & attached to joists (spaced approximately 151/2" apart).

The problem is I only have 1/2" clearance between the subfloor and hardwood floors of the adjoining rooms. (We are tiling the hall entrace way).

When I put 3/4" plywood down as underlayment and add tiles plus mortar, the new floor is 1" higher than the wood floors of the adjoining rooms! How can I solve this problem? Should I use fiber cement board instead? Will 1/4" plywod underlayment work just as well? All advice is welcome. Thanks!

Old 04-01-03, 07:53 AM
Brewbeer
Visiting Guest
For your application, over existing subfloor, use 3/4 inch ply, 1/4 inch cement board, thinset mortar and tile. You can not tile directly on the 4 1/2 inch boards.

You could try to get away with less, but you run the risk of your installation failing (cracking grout and/or tiles) at some time in the future.

There are ways to transition between the tile and hardwood floors, but the height difference will always be there. Check out the forum at JohnBridge.com for more info.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: