Tile in bath (best guess?)

Old 04-12-03, 04:10 PM
E
eriktimmer
Visiting Guest
Tile in bath (best guess?)

Hello,

I'm buying a house and am trying to get a head start on budgeting for various projects that I'll start after closing. The bathroom is currently not finished (well, it is but its in terrible condition). I'm wondering about the approximate cost of materials and time for a tiling project.

What I'd like to do is put down ceramic floor tile (the small 1 x 1 squares that come in sheets) and put tile around the tub/shower enclosure (just the cheap square white tiles). The bathroom is approximately 35 square feet, and the wall tile would go from tub level up to the top of a window-->about 120 square feet is my best guess.

Has anyone had recent experience with a similar project? If so, what were your approximate material costs and about how long did it take?

Or, if you had someone install it, can you just give me a sense of the approximate cost for the project?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-03, 07:50 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
all you have to do is figure out your square footage for the tile and then find out the prices of the material you will be using. You will need hardibacker [email protected] $10 a sheet(covers 15sq.ft.), Thinset @ about $20 for a 50lb. bag(covers anywhere from 30 to 90 sq.ft. depending on the size notched trowel you will need). Don't know the price of your tile, and the prices I posted may vary in your area.....

Old 04-13-03, 09:21 AM
J
Here's my guess if you do it yourself:

$50 for tile.
$30 for cement board.
$ 5 for the cement board screws.
$ 8 for the carbide tool to cut the cement board.
$15 bucks for a 50# bag of Versabond.
$20 for the trowel, sponge and float.
$10 for a undercut saw for your door casings and jamb.
$ 2 for tile spacers.
$10 for the grout.
$ 3 for a new wax ring for your toilet.
$ 2 for a toilet flange extender.
$ 5 for a flexible toilet supply line.
$10 for baseboard to replace what you break getting it off.
$10 for filler and paint for the baseboard.
$ 5 for caulk for the baseboards and flange extender.
$10 for grout sealer.

I didn't put anything in there for tile cutting. You'll either need to rent, borrow or buy a tile saw, or have Home Depot cut them for you.

Old 04-15-03, 09:27 AM
E
eriktimmer
Visiting Guest
thanks! This gives me an excellent idea about the costs. I'm going to do this and will post back any discoveries along the way. Thanks again for your replies!

Old 04-15-03, 01:19 PM
B
Brewbeer
Visiting Guest
Cheap 4 x 4 wall tile will run about 2 bucks a square foot.

Good quality floor tile starts at about 4-5 bucks a square foot.

Old 04-15-03, 09:46 PM
J
I just realized that I was only considering the 35 square foot floor. And I wasn't factoring in tile anywhere near as good as the stuff brewbeer is talking about. You can get "pretty good" PEI III floor tile for as low as $1.50 a square foot.

Once you get into wall tile, the thing that drives up the budget a lot is that darn bullnose tile, which is priced a lot higher than you think it should be. Sometimes is cheaper to tile all the way up to the ceiling rather than stop short and use bullnose.

Old 04-16-03, 08:34 AM
B
Brewbeer
Visiting Guest
The mosaics erik proposed using run more money than the larger format floor tiles.

It's kind of odd. For comparable quality tiles, the larger the tile format, the cheaper the tile is per sq. ft. You'd think it would be the other way.