Used Ceramic Tiles

Old 04-29-03, 11:34 AM
jim_2027
Visiting Guest
Used Ceramic Tiles

I'm replacing a hallway carpet with used ceramic tiles . I'm using used tiles which were layed about 5 years ago in a similar condo as mine.
New tiles of the style I'm trying to match are unavailable.

How much of the old material do I have to remove from the Back of the tiles to ensure they will not come loose after they are installed?
Do you have any suggestions on how to remove the old material? The only way I have been able to remove the material has been to chip it off with a Hammer and chisel Any suggestions you may make will be greatly appreciated.

Jim

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-03, 03:51 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Used ceramic tiles

Most forum posts tend to reveal that this effort tends not to be successful. Removing old grout and mortar tends to be a tedious process, usually with a grinder. The effort also tends to result in cracked or damaged tiles. After placing a value on the effort and your time, you can purchase new tiles for less. Calculate the square footage of the area you need, add 5% for waste. Check at local tile dealers, where you may find a good deal on overstocked or discontinued tile that will coordinate with existing tile.