Ceramic tile over linoleum

Old 04-30-03, 09:29 AM
steveco1
Visiting Guest
Ceramic tile over linoleum

I am installing cement board over linoleum and then my ceramic, I have been told that this is not advisable, The linoleum is in great shape and we just want a change. Since the cement board is nailed down how can it move?. Any opion on this.

Old 04-30-03, 01:29 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The concern is whether or not the floor will flex beyond the limits of the ceramic tile when a load is applied to it. As you can imagine, ceramic tile is not flexible at all.

Old 04-30-03, 01:46 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If the existing flooring is firm as a rock, then you're probably okay. But if it is at all "cushy", the you'd be better off removing it.

Old 05-02-03, 12:13 PM
steveco1
Visiting Guest
ceramic tile over linoleum

Thanks for your imput. The floor is rock hard and in great shape just need a change.

Old 05-03-03, 08:03 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Deflection is the term that Chris was talking about. You're saying that the floor is hard as rock, sounds good, but wouldn't hurt to look at joist size & spacing, it's crucial when you get into tile setting. How big is your room? Keep in mind that ceramic will add about 10 lbs per sq ft, so what now feels very sound, may not stand up to specs for a tile floor.

As for the lineoum, you can lay the cbu over it, ideally you'd like to have plywood under that. Make sure you tape & mud your seems, this can be done as you're laying the tile, that's how I do it.

BTW, welcome to the forums and post back if you have more ?'s & let us know how it turns out.

Old 05-04-03, 08:20 AM
floorman
Visiting Guest
what i look at besides the vinyl is the actual sub-floor.Is it o.s.b.?or plywood of the c.d.x. kind,osb is the stuff that looks like chips glued together and cdx looks more like one peice.The reason i ask is this will add a lot more flex to the floor than will the vinyl.You need a min. of 1 1/4 inch sub-floor to support most tile jobs.Over the vinyl i would screw it versus nailing it will tighten everything up and as long as you 2x10 joists on 16 centers then you should be fine.Get a god latex modified thin-set and additive for the grout and you should be good to go.Get back to us and let us know if you have any more q's

Old 05-05-03, 06:52 AM
steveco1
Visiting Guest
ceramic over tile

Thanks for all the help, this forum is terrific. I feel alot better about it after getting all of your inputs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: