Sub floor

Old 05-07-03, 09:10 AM
techsol
Visiting Guest
Sub floor

Can plywood, properly screwed down replace cement board in a tile floor installation. I have 725 sq feet and the cost of backer board seems very expensive. I would have a 1 1/2 " based of exterior plywood as a base. Would this work?

Thanks

Rich

Old 05-07-03, 01:51 PM
ee3
Visiting Guest
You will get differant opions on this, but a dbl. layer ply wood is a listed method with the Tile Council Of America.--F-142,F-143,F-150 ,F-152. If you do not have these details I suggest contacting the TCA for them. literature@tileusa.com or Technical@tileusa.com Many will say cement backer board is better and might be more stable then plywood.

Old 05-08-03, 05:11 PM
floorman
Visiting Guest
we used to lay tile over ply wood before the cbu came into exsistance.We would drive 8 penney nails every 4to 6 inches in the joists and ring shank the rest every2 inches on the seams ans every 4 to 6 inches in the feild.This is not a reccomended way of doing thins any more,the problem of delamination of the plywood and the constant movement of the wood wreaks havov with the tile and grout ,however having said that if you were to lay the plywood opposite of the subfloor and screw it down in the joists as well allow 1/8 inch gap inbetween the sheets for expansion of the wood i dont see a problem used to do it all the time back in the day been doing this about 15 years now,never had any problems just be very methodical with the screws and make the floor tight as possible.1 1/2 inches should be plenty of sub floor what about the joists?2 x10 on 16 centers? that would be a min. i should think, good luck

Old 05-08-03, 05:45 PM
ee3
Visiting Guest
The fasteners of the 2nd layer(top) should not penetrate the joist.

Old 05-11-03, 10:45 AM
floorman
Visiting Guest
why's that?you want cut down on movement as much as possible the only way to do that is to hit the joists to tie it all together

Old 05-11-03, 06:19 PM
ee3
Visiting Guest
Just following the Tile Council Of America guidelines!! "underlayment fasteners should not penetrate joist below" is in detail's F-142-03,F-143-03,F-150-03

Old 05-15-03, 06:18 PM
floorman
Visiting Guest
things change every day with the tile trade thats the problem with it

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: