Cleaning linoleum glue off pre-existing floor

Old 05-07-03, 03:10 PM
SOUTHERNBELL
Visiting Guest
Cleaning linoleum glue off pre-existing floor

My husband had bought new linoleum tile to put down in our kitchen. We are renting by the way. We started pulling up the linoleum that was down(2 layers) and descovered the most beautiful flooring. My DH describes it as concrete and broken bricks. We have decided to keep the original floor but we are having trouble getting the glue form the old flooring off. I have trird alcohol and some comercial cleaner that does wonders for everyday household cleaning but not on this glue. Help!! I don't think my knees and arms can take much more of this.

Southernbell

Old 05-07-03, 05:16 PM
mike the canuck
Visiting Guest
Talking Man do I hear ya!!!!

Hello,
My wife and I purchased a 1924 farm house that had about 6 layers of flooring over some beautiful old fir...We tried lots of chemicals to no avail...We finally decided to try a heat gun and were very happily surprised...It worked very well but I would try to make sure that the room is very well ventilated as it did create quite bad fumes...I'm not sure if the concrete on your floor would be to porous to use the heat gun... it may melt the glue in( maybe try it on a tiny well hidden spot to see)
ps: Although it worked well it was still a very ugly loooooooong job! best of luck...let us know how it turns out

Old 05-08-03, 05:16 PM
kngd99
Visiting Guest
NO ADVERTISING IN FORUMS!

Forum topics are not to be used as public bulletin board for free posting of ads, solicitations or advertisements of any kind. When forum posts repeatedly promote a product without discussion and advice to a DIYer, it is also considered advertising.

Forum intent is an exchange of helpful problem solving methods and solutions to questions and not public advertisement.

Inappropriate postings not relevent to the intent of the web site or any postings deemed as such by the host, administrator or moderators will be edited and/or deleted.

Policy applies to ALL forums on the web site. No exceptions.

Direct your advertisements to advertisement department. Use "receive advertising info" link provided below.

If you object to policy, contact the Administrator and state your objection.

The "Contact Us" link is provided below.

Failure to comply will result in your being banned from the website.

Web Site Host & Moderator
twelvepole

Last edited by twelvepole; 05-24-03 at 01:12 PM.
Old 05-08-03, 08:49 PM
SOUTHERNBELL
Visiting Guest
I am currently using just plain, very warm, soapy water. I let it set about 5 min. then use a scraper. It seems to be working tho there are a few spots that the glue is very white and when I go to scrape it up all it does is smear. Guess I'll have to find a different solution for that. Kay gave me this idea. She also brought me down some knee pads. Thanks Kay!

Southernbell

Old 05-09-03, 08:29 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yeah, kneepads. Thought to buy those AFTER I did my floors.

Kay

Last edited by twelvepole; 05-24-03 at 01:13 PM.
Old 05-11-03, 11:49 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Check out a product called Detach made by Parabond

Old 05-22-03, 12:38 PM
SOUTHERNBELL
Visiting Guest
Thanks guys for all your ideas. I wound up going to Home Deopt to try and find something. The guy there recommended a product called Adhesive Remover. It works great! You simply brush it on and let it sit for 10 to 30 min. then use a scrapper to get it up. Then all I do is put some soapy water down and kinda scrub a little(i have one on my mop) then mop up the excess water. One application usually does it. The white glue that is on there has seeped into the concrete so there is still a whitish color but no sticky. Yeah!! I'm still not done, my DH has decided to work on the upstairs so I now have hardwood floor in my bedroom that needs refinishing. He just removed the carpet and tore down wallpaper in the bathroom so that will need to be replaced also. My summer is already planned.Just not for a vacation.lol.

Thanks again.
Southernbell

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: