Ceramic Tile over existing vinyl

Old 05-08-03, 09:30 PM
jearl
Visiting Guest
Question Ceramic Tile over existing vinyl

I've had good luck installing ceramic tile in several rooms of our home. My next plan is to install in a large area of our basement. this area wasn't used much and has old (30-40 yrs) vinyl tile that is firmly in place over a concrete floor. Is it alright to mortar and tile over this? do I need to scuff the old tile? The old tile is flat with a fine swirley groove pattern and as old is it is I wonder if it contains asbestos. This question has probably asked many times and I apologize in advance but I'm a new user. Thanks, jim

Old 05-09-03, 09:46 AM
ee3
Visiting Guest
generaly no it is not recomended. if it is asbestos do not sand it.if the current floor is not a cusioned back you might get away with it. I would also incorporate a membrane ie;nobleseal cis or ditra
www.noblecompany.com - www.schluter.com --

Old 05-11-03, 11:34 AM
floorman
Visiting Guest
easy way to tell if this is v.a.t or not is it 9x9 tile?if so it isasbestoes tile the glue under it black?also abestoes.If the tile is v.a.t.[vinyl asbestoes tile]the it more than likely is not stuck real well and not suitable to tile over.You are allowed a certain amount of asbestoes waste and it varies from area to area you need to check with building code enforcement people in you're area and see what you are allowed to do.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: