subfloor

Old 05-10-03, 08:55 PM
elliottjim
Visiting Guest
subfloor

Is it recommended to apply new ceramic tile over an existing ceramic tile floor? The current floor is solid.

Old 05-10-03, 09:24 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forums. Yes you can lay a new ceramic floor over an existing one. As long as it's solid & in good shape go for it. If there are a couple of loose tiles, I'd pull them on up & just lay my thinset extra thick to make up the difference. Good luck.

Old 05-11-03, 07:55 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Before you start, make sure you can deal with the host of height issues. The most serious consideration if this is in a kitchen is whether or not you will still be able to get the dishwasher out.

Old 05-11-03, 09:56 AM
floorman
Visiting Guest
there is a thinset made specifically for this it's called mapei keralastic has extra latex and different polymers in it for the bond,also want make sure the tile is free from any oils or wax that may hinder the bond.

Old 05-11-03, 12:58 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
John brings up a very good point with height issues. That would definitely have to be taken into consideration.

Old 05-11-03, 04:39 PM
elliottjim
Visiting Guest
Thanks everyone. This is for a small half bath with a wall hung sink. I should be OK. Thanks for the info on the special thinset. Should that type be readily available?

Jim

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: