Tiling concrete floor

Old 05-12-03, 07:39 AM
vagoo
Visiting Guest
Question Tiling concrete floor

I am currently remodeling a kitchen and an adjoining bathroom and laundry room. All three rooms currently have concrete floors and I am looking to install ceramic tile directly to the concrete floors. Can I place the tile directly to the floor? Should I use backer board (and if so how would I attach it to the floor)? And most importantly, should I insulate the floor in some manner? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-12-03, 10:32 AM
Caponata
Visiting Guest
tiles

Hi,
As fas as I know you need to put a layer of something before you fix the tiles! I myself would like to put a layer of Marble tiles over my old tiles and I need to put a layer of sand before I can apply the marnle tiles but how much I don't know!I hope you get your answer.

Old 05-12-03, 10:49 AM
Brewbeer
Visiting Guest
Your tiles can be laid directly on the concrete as long as the concrete is not painted, and water won't "bead-up" when it is sprinkled on the surface. If it is painted, or if water does bead up, you need to removed the surface layer to promote the adhesion of the new tiles. I did this is a recent bathroom project which had pained concrete. I just chipped away the surface with a maul to roughen it up and remove some of the paint.

The time to insulate would have been before the concrete was poured. You can add insulation now, but this will invlove the construction of another floor out of wood, and then you would use cement board over the wood, attached using thinset mortar and special screws recommended by the cement board manufacturer.

Old 05-12-03, 05:17 PM
ee3
Visiting Guest
Brew Beer you sure your not a full timer??

Coponata- you can set tile (marble) over tile. START A NEW POST WITH WHAT YOU HAVE, AND WHAT YOU WANT!

Old 05-14-03, 12:31 AM
Caponata
Visiting Guest
Sorry

Hi ee3 sorry and you don't need to shout a me!

Old 05-14-03, 07:18 AM
ee3
Visiting Guest
I just forget to take off the cap lock and as slow as i type by the time I redo it your floor could be done!!:

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: