Grout sealer?

Old 05-15-03, 08:15 PM
K2K
Visiting Guest
Question Grout sealer?

My new home is nearly complete. Ceramic tile was installed last week in a large part of my home. I have no experience with tile. The flooring company the tile was purchased from suggested sealing the grout or painting it. I tend to side towards the sealing process, but I would appreciate advice from those of you with experience in this area. I was told by the installers to wait for 28 days after install to apply sealer. I have read 48 hrs. any input here would be helpful. I have 3 young children, two large dogs and a mud yard. I'd like to get something done as soon as possible.

Old 05-16-03, 06:43 AM
Brewbeer
Visiting Guest
If the tile is over concrete, I'd say the tilers are right. You don't want to seal it before ALL the water has evaporated. But if it is over a wood substructure (crawlspace or basement), 7 days is adequate. 48 hours is too short.

Old 05-16-03, 06:12 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Actually, you follow the directions on the bottle of sealer you purchase. Aquamix Sealer's Choice 15 Gold can go on within 72 hours.

http://www.aquamix.com (copy and paste)

Old 05-16-03, 06:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
...and it will allow the moisture to continue to evaporate.

Old 05-16-03, 06:46 PM
K2K
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the help! The tile is on subfloor with basement below.

Old 05-16-03, 06:55 PM
K2K
Visiting Guest
I have another question. It's not really tile related, but in a way it is. I have a slate chalk board, it's from an old one room school house. It's been stored for many years and now is on the wall in my hallway. It's a mess, any suggestions on how to clean it? I seached the net and couldn't find anything. The closest thing I could find was information on cleaning stone; floors & counters. I'm guessing that's close enough, would appreciate some expert oppinions before I try something. The board also has a couple of words carved into it, any suggestions on how to remove them?

Old 05-17-03, 05:28 AM
bigbluedude2
Visiting Guest
Slate Blackboard

I have one those also, not is such bad shape. Sorry to say but slate would needed to taken out of the frame( if it has one) and polished down. If it is realy dear to you, you could see if a granite countertop shop might do it for you as they have the grinders and polishers to do the job. The "carvings" may be to deep to recover from.

Old 05-18-03, 06:21 PM
K2K
Visiting Guest
I cleaned the chalk board with floor cleaner and it looks great, except for some scratches, a few small chips and the writing. What I got out of the slate was green and appeared to be a heavy chalk dust. I'm wondering if chalk molds, that's what it reminded me of. It's been stored in an outside building for at least the last 8 years. I have before, during and after pictures if any ones interested.

Thanks for the polishing tip. I had a granite island installed in the kitchen, the business isn't far and the people seem very friendly. I'll contact them after we get settled. Yes, it's framed, on the wall. The finish trim carpenter's framed it with door trim. It looks great! They even made me a chalk and eraser shelf. I'm sure it wont be a pleasure to take off the wall. They did use screws, but covered the heads with filler.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: