Tile shower shelf and seat

Old 05-17-03, 05:22 AM
bigbluedude2
Visiting Guest
Smile Tile shower shelf and seat

I am just about ready to start a new tile shower install in a completey renovated bathroom. Walls down to studs and all new supply and waste lines. New floor joists, subfloor, the works. I have laid about 300sq. of floor time in the house and done shower walls in the past without problems.
My plan is to put a walk in tile shower with a small shelf for shamppoos, soaps etc. Would like to put the shelf recessed into the shower wall instead of attaching it on the wall like a little cubby hole. Do I need to put PVC like liner under the tile in the shelf recess, kind of like a shower pan installation? I will slope the shelf floor a little for water runoff. Any other hints? How about a larger shelf in a shower so I can sit my tired hind quarters down after all this work and let the water soak the muscle pain away?

Old 05-17-03, 08:11 AM
floorman
Visiting Guest
if you are going to build the niche peice by peice i would highly reccomend putting some kind of waterproofing in there like schluter kerdi they also make a preformed niche that you can use without having to waterproof

Old 05-17-03, 05:46 PM
ee3
Visiting Guest
for a pre made, pre waterproofed niche in 5 size'e contact the Noble co. www.noblecompany.com

Old 05-17-03, 07:08 PM
LewMac
Visiting Guest
bigbluedude2,

I did exactly what you are doing last year to a small 3/4 guest bath with a shower stall, sink and toilet. I tiled the shower, including a total rebuild of the shower pan, walls, and tiled the floor and wainscoat on the walls. I used the niches from Bonsal. Go to ---> http://www.bonsal.com/tilepage.html?sid=1713 to see them. I special ordered them from a local tile distributor.

I also installed a small "Better Bench". They are available from a variety of distributors.

Hope this helps.

LewMac

Old 05-17-03, 07:20 PM
LewMac
Visiting Guest
Photos of project

Here's a link to a web page with photos of the project I mentioned above, to see if this is what you are looking for.

http://bellsouthpwp.net/w/l/wlmc/Our...Den%20Bath.htm

LewMac

Old 05-18-03, 07:38 PM
ee3
Visiting Guest
the niches from bonsal used to be made by the some co. that is now making them for Noble Co. they can be ordered direct from Noble.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: