Removing Ceramic Tile

Old 03-19-00, 08:24 PM
Visiting Guest
How does a do it yourselfer remove bathroom tlle from wallboard? Contact me at jimandbettyseaver@yahoo.com

Old 03-20-00, 04:11 PM
Visiting Guest
Hi Jim:

You'll be notified about this reply, so, here goes with my best advice.

Removing ceramic tile is a hard and dirty job at best. Depending upon the installation, the tiles may come off easy or hard. Before you start, there are a couple of hints.

First, put a stopper in the drain, take an old shower curtain and line the tub with it. Use duct tape to attach the curtain to the edges of the tub so you catch all the debris and protect the finish in the tub.

Next, use goggles (not safety glasses) and gloves when removing the tiles. They are very brittle and can shatter.

Start from the top of the wall and work down. Use a hammer and "wonder bar" to bash the tiles off the wall. Put the thin end of the bar behind the top tile and bash away. If the installer used the correct amount of adhesive, it will be difficult to remove the tiles without doing serious damage to the wall behind.

Sorry, but as they say, "Them's the facts".

You'll have to replace the wall board behind the tiles. Don't try to patch it, this could only lead to other problems down the road.

If anyone else has a better idea, I'm all ears.

Ted

Old 04-05-00, 11:20 PM
Visiting Guest
If space permits, a flat garden shovel is a good scraper if the tiles aren't on too solid. Forsure forget the wallboard, replace it

Old 01-22-05, 06:18 PM
Arold
Visiting Guest
shower wall tile

I have just started this project and trying to remove the tile is proving very difficult. Is there a tool that will work better than a hammer and screwdriver? The way it is going it will take many hours to remove the three walls of tile from a small shower.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 01-23-05, 07:15 PM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just ripped out the ceramic tile around my tub. First, knowing that I need to replace the wallboard, I cut through the wall where the tile ends with a utility knife. Then, try the get the wonder bar behind the wall board in the cut you just made. I was lucky and was able to remove the entire section of wall with the tiles still attached. Must faster and easier than chisling away at the tiles. Be careful, once the wall comes loose it will be heavy, espcially if you have backer board instead of drywall. If you can't get it started in the cut, get a 3 pound hammer and take a few good whacks to bust some tiles loose and get a hole in the wall. Then you can grab and yank or use the wonder bar to try to get sections of wall off. If you have backer board then you may need to bust the tiles off then remove the board.
Don

Old 01-24-05, 01:07 PM
Arold
Visiting Guest
Tile removal

Thanks, the tile is on plywood and looks like I will have to bit the bullet and just take them off one by one.
Al

Old 01-25-05, 11:33 AM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would suggest you Knock a row of tiles down along a stud and then use a sawzall to cut down through the plywood. Once you get a slice through the wall along a stud, you should be able to pry off the plywood. Unless of course it was screwed and not nailed, in which case you're ..... out of luck. Then follow the advice in other threads as to the correct way to replace the walls with moisture retarder and backer board.

Old 01-28-05, 10:20 PM
gomezza
Visiting Guest
I used an air tool

I used my air compressor and air chizle (I think I spelt that wrong but anyhow)... It worked great!!

H-

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: