Marble Tile What adhesive to use?

Old 05-19-03, 12:49 PM
mbaechle
Visiting Guest
Marble Tile What adhesive to use?

Hello,

I have light colored marble tiles 12x12. Installation will be on plywood which is over a sub floor. One tile place recommended white mortart mix, another recommended thin set.

Some of the forums said that mortar miz as it dries could discolor the tiles.

THe guy at the home center said to use 1/2" notch. Does this sound right?

Thanks,

Mike

Old 05-19-03, 03:04 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
None of it sounds right so far, just depends.

What kind of marble do you have and do you really intend to install this marble directly to the plywood or is that a joke?

Old 05-20-03, 08:54 AM
mbaechle
Visiting Guest
No joke.

Tiles were purchased from home depot. Manufacturer is
http://www.bestviewinternational.com

Was told that could install directly to plywood. Do you suggest a surface preparation? Area had a ceramic tile that I removed. TIles were solid and not cracked, just old and color too dark for the room.

Area is not a bathroom, so moisture is not an issue.

Thanks,

Mike

Old 05-20-03, 05:51 PM
Well marble is a natural stone of course and natural stone requires some special attention to install. Stone requires a subfloor twice as strong as what is needed for ceramic tile.

Questions would be:
What size are your floor joists?
What is their spacing?
What is the thickness of your plywood subfloor at this point?

Just to cover your butt I would let Home Depot recommend the correct thinset for you to use in the absence of a recommendation from the marble manufacturer.

Old 05-21-03, 05:15 AM
floorman
Visiting Guest
i think i would be careful who you get to reccomend the thin-set from if it's the same place who told you to set directly over the plywood then run.run very fast, the absolute min.for setting tile of any nature is 1 1/4" of sub-floor marble i think i'd opt for 1 1/2 use white thinset under the marble it dries very hard what you want to do is either take a damp sponge and wipe the dust off the back of the tile before setting or take the flat side of you're trowel and [burn] thin set into the back of the tile to ensure adhesion,1/2 notch is the right notch for this application,all contingent of course on the sub-flloor and joist spacing of course.What was the old tile set on?the floor needs to be just as smoothe as you can get it before you put any durock down. thats another thing,you need to use a c.b.u. cementitous backer board to set you're marble over it can be considered in the thickness of the sub-floor i"d use 1/2 inch for that.1/4 inch notch trowel and thin set under the c.b.u. then nail every2"on the seams and 4 to 6" in the feild, tape joints with mesh tape and flat trowel thin set on that allow to dry then start setting.Sounds like overkill but the last thing you want when all is said and done is to have to come back start tearing tile out cause they are cracking or something awful like that.Have fun!

Old 05-22-03, 09:13 AM
mbaechle
Visiting Guest
Thanks

Bud, floorman.

You all convinced me that marble would require more work and risk than I want for a weekend job.

I went to a real tile store and decided to get an Italian ceramic tile with a glaze that looks like marble.

The sub floor is 3/4 " plywood with a 1/2 inch exterior plywood on top. It is solid and held the previous ceramic tile floor with no cracks. Scraped it clean.

Any recommendations regarding adhesive?

Thanks again,

Mike in New Jersey

Old 05-22-03, 10:32 AM
ee3
Visiting Guest
any good latex mod. thin set , should say meets ANSI 118.4

Old 05-22-03, 02:51 PM
Old 05-24-03, 06:56 AM
floorman
Visiting Guest
the whole reason for the backer board is in the past there was a problem with delamination of the plywood and thus failure of the tile install.However,back in the day we used to go over plywood all the time with no problems ,now this is not a recommended practice so we go over the c.b.u..As long as the ply is in good shape and the prior install had no probs then go for it.Maybe run some screws in it to tighten everything up,and use a good ultra flex thin-set,maybe a latex admix to the grout [just for added protection]then you should be o.k.

Old 05-24-03, 06:56 AM
floorman
Visiting Guest
the whole reason for the backer board is in the past there was a problem with delamination of the plywood and thus failure of the tile install.However,back in the day we used to go over plywood all the time with no problems ,now this is not a recommended practice so we go over the c.b.u..As long as the ply is in good shape and the prior install had no probs then go for it.Maybe run some screws in it to tighten everything up,and use a good ultra flex thin-set,maybe a latex admix to the grout [just for added protection]then you should be o.k.By the way why did you pull the old tile out?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: