Which grout for kitchen counters?

Old 05-23-03, 09:13 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Which grout for kitchen counters?

Yes, another "Which grout?" question... sorry, but I've seen so many suggestions and varieties discussed online I am still unsure what I need.

I am regrouting my ceramic tile kitchen countertops (circa 1951). The tile is in good shape but the grout is disgusting. The old grout was originally smooth-looking white. I plan to etch out 1/8" of the old grout with a Dremel and grout attachment, clean thoroughly with TSP or a commercial cleaner, and then regrout and seal.

Can someone recommend which grout to get? I know there are many varieties (sanded, unsanded)... what is best for my needs? And how to best match colors? Finally, what's the best tool to use to regrout, a rubber float?

Any advice is appreciated. THANK YOU!!!

Old 05-24-03, 06:28 AM
floorman
Visiting Guest
You wuold be better off taking the grout down a little further than 1/8so it has something to hold it in place.What kind of tile and how big are the joints?If it is wall tile[shiny surface,4x4]the joints are real thin,then you need to put in unsanded grout as the sanded wo'nt get into the joint good and hold,not to mention that you might etch the surface,if it is say a 6x6 tile with wider joints then use sanded

Old 05-24-03, 05:04 PM
old tile man
Visiting Guest
Welcome to 2003.

100% epoxy is the best we have to offer today, consider it along with the other choices.

Bill

Old 05-25-03, 11:05 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks!

I have the shiny, 4x4 kitchen tiles with a very narrow grout joint between (barely more than 1/8"). So it sounds like the unsanded is the way to go, huh? And I will take it down a little deeper than 1/8"... Thank you!!!

Old 05-29-03, 10:40 PM
Lola
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up which grout for countertop

Bekka,

I'm with "Old tile man". The epoxy grout is great. Our countertop has been in for a year and a half and I love it. It costs a lot more than the standard but does not require sealing and really seems virtually indestructable. Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: