linoleum adhesive removal

Old 06-09-03, 06:28 PM
Dana_D
Visiting Guest
linoleum adhesive removal

Hi, my husband and I just scraped 2 layers of linoleum off our small bathroom floor. It actually came up quite easily but left a black slightly sticky adhesive over the concrete slab. We will replace the floor with new ceramic tile. My question is, do we really need to remove the adhesive before we layb the tile? The home depot guy recommended Klean-strip adhesive remover. Seems quite caustic. The room is a 5x5 powder room. Thanks for any advice!

Old 06-10-03, 05:25 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Has anyone advised you on the potential that you just removed and dumped asbestos?

The black adhesive your looking at, may contain asbestos too.

How old is the original layer?

I have seen thinset mortar pop from black cutback adhesive residue. It also contains petroleum. Oil and water don't mix.

There are products to encapsulate the cutback adhesive.

"The Home Depot guy recommended". Sounds like job security for my repair services!

You do realize that guy worked in gardening last week, and plumbing the month before, handing out bad advise. You better know what your doing with chemicals!!! Where are these chemicals going to go, after they are used? What is going to keep the chemical from debonding the thinset that has an acrylic additive?

Old 06-10-03, 05:34 PM
Dana_D
Visiting Guest
No, we didn't realize the floor might be asbestos. The house is 34 years old. I have no idea if the first layer was the original flooring, but I would guess it was.

I didn't quite understand your response about the adhesive. How do you encapsulate it? I guess you meant that we shouldn't tile over it. The tile is coming on Friday, so any more advice would be appreciated.

I know what you mean about Home Depot, but the guy had just taught the how to lay ceramic tile class, and seemed quite knowledgable. And frankly, that is the only help we have. Thanks for your input.

Old 06-11-03, 04:59 PM
floorman
Visiting Guest
if it is 34 years old then the lino was "hot" and so is the glue,meaning it contained asbestoes.The only thing you can do now is get a hold of a product called ardex feather finish and skim the floor with it to encapsulate it do not disturb this black glue in any other way.The particle float i nt eh air and that is how people get sick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: