ceramic tile over vinyl floor

Old 05-26-03, 08:01 AM
jleslie
Visiting Guest
ceramic tile over vinyl floor

Hi
I want to lay ceramic tile over an existing sheet vinyl floor. Joist spacing and subfloor seem to be sufficient. The vinyl floor is about 1/8" thick and is glued down. (I tried removing the same type of flooring in the bathroom and had to put in a new underlay as the vinyl peeled into layers.)
Currently the room is empty - new cupboards will be installed after the floor is down - I thought it would be less work. Any comments? Should I have the plumbing roughed in for tile cutting purposes?
Finally, is it ok to use a narrow grout width in the bathroom with 12" tiles? It would mean less cutting but I'm not sure if it would look ok.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-03, 08:57 AM
floorman
Visiting Guest
since cabinets and all are removed it will be easier to remove the underlament and the vinyl,it is not reccomened that you lay tile over vinyl,get up under the 1/4 plywood with a crow bar and remove that along with the vinyl remove any nails left or beat them down ,then at the floor register for the heat/air check to see how thick you're sub-floor is,you need a min. of 1 1/4 for most tile applications joist need to be a min.of2x10 on 16" centers.Yes rough in the plumbing.Part of the reason for grout joints is to compensate for the different sizes in the tile they are by nature when fired,different so hence the grout joint.If you're tile are fairly consistent then you could get away with a small joint also to be considered is the floor even ,flat? that is also a determining factor to be considered it will be alot harder to keep the 'lippage' down when using a smaller joint.If you opt for the joint of 1/8 or less use unsanded grout,personally i would go with a 3/16 joint

Old 05-26-03, 02:50 PM
r4196
Visiting Guest
Install of ceramic over sheet vinyl floor

Dont be cheap on this part of the project. Rip out the old flooring and re intall plywood and wonderboard and do the job right. If not you will have a big problem later on down the road with tiles cracking. Take my word some idot did this on my home before i owned it. The tiles are cracking and it looks like hell. Take my advise dont even think of doing it!!!!!!

Old 05-26-03, 04:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceramic tile

Don't forget to use concrete underlayment board beneath tile.

Old 06-11-03, 11:37 AM
jleslie
Visiting Guest
I have removed old subfloor and have started to replace it with 3/8 underlay. I think this is too flexable. There is a subfloor of 1X6 covered with 1X4 tongue & groove. The floor is quite flat but there are some variations in level here and there - 1/8 to 1/4 on 4foot span. Should I give up on the ceramic tile - 12X12 (already purchased and not returnable) or increase underlay thickness to 3/4? How much unevenness can adhesive compensate for?
I appreciate any help with this, thanks.

Old 06-11-03, 06:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Stiffer is better in the ceramic tile world.

I would opt for 5/8 - 3/4. You don't want ANY movement, flex, or what ever you want to call it.

Don't give up now! Your just getting started.
You realize remodeling cost more then building new, in some cases.