screws in hardibacker

Old 05-26-03, 01:50 PM
rvoigt
Visiting Guest
screws in hardibacker

I looked but did not see this question addressed. I have installed hardibacker all the way around my tub using the proper kind of screws. My question has to do with countersinking the screws - they don't "pull through" like sheetrock screws so the heads are not completely flush with the wall surface. Will this be a problem when I start tiling? They are not real far out but a little bit, especially when the screw went in at a slight angle.

Thanks

Old 05-26-03, 01:57 PM
floorman
Visiting Guest
as long as the tile moves freely when setting, wont be a problem keep a hammer with you and beat them in as needed or before tiling go around and tap them in

Old 05-27-03, 07:59 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
This is a really common problem. I wish they'd design the screws better. The screw heads have little ribs on the bottom side of the head that are supposed to help them dig in to the cement board. But they don't work very well. At the price they charge for those dang screws, they ought to work a lot better.

I'd reset any screw that's 1/16" or more proud.

Old 05-29-03, 08:17 PM
rvoigt
Visiting Guest
Just to let everyone know - the 1/16" or so that the screws were up were not a problem. The tile is in and it looks great, better yet, my wife thinks so.

Thanks for the tips.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: