granite vs marble over a brick fireplace

Old 05-28-03, 10:33 AM
peggieKH
Visiting Guest
granite vs marble over a brick fireplace

aaaahhhh...the ongoing saga continues.... The kitchen cabinets are in. StoneSystems came today to do the template for the counters (Silestone's Stellar Snow).The kitchen floor tile is down. used through body porcelein (Iris Eboni -- stunning deep charcoal grey and lighter grey clouds) tile extends into the backroom addition (dining area/full of windows)--ties it together beautifully. Now my husband has decided he doesn't like the dark panelling (thank god for small miracles)in the backroom. He's going to tear it off and paint!!!!

Into the "parlor" on the opposite side of the kitchen. The old wallpaper is gone off the three 1/2 "walls" (one 1/2 wall looks into the kitchen., one 1/2 wall is the side of the stairs to the second floor, third halfwall is the front of the house with large flat picture window. The only full wall has now been stripped of the dark panelling (hooray again).

In the center of this wall is a red brick fireplace. Guess what???? I want to change it to either granite or marble. preferably white! This is a small room and I want to keep it light. My thoughts are to paint the wall around it a deep vibrant color (?? mauve,teal, etc) with the white fireplace in the center. The other walls would be a lighter shade of the vibrant wall. I had thought of grey or black for the fireplace -- but that would (i think) be too much of a contrast although white with some grey or black in it would be ok....
questions: which is better granite or marble?? which will hold up better, be easier to clean, more durable, etc....
someone responded to another question about a "surround kit".
(?? two legs & ??) What is this....where would you purchase it.
I went on the recommended email recommended in previous postings & viewed the various suggestions for installation
Any suggestions appreciated
thanks
peggie

Old 05-29-03, 07:33 PM
floorman
Visiting Guest
granite is alot more dense than marble it will hold up alot better than the marble,what that person was reffering was cultered marble ,man made,marble dust and chips glued together and polished see it done all the time dont know how well it holds up over time.Try a fireplace shop they w ill have them , try also a marble and granite shop near you

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: