using marble for countertop

Old 05-29-03, 06:55 PM
Laura
Visiting Guest
using marble for countertop

We bought marble at an auction and would like to find a good use for it. Inspired by the sushi bar at our favorite restaurant, we are wondering if we could make a kitchen countertop with it. The marble is very thick, just under one inch. Each tile is 1x2 ft, so the size is just right. I'm thinking a heavy base board (one inch plywood?) with the tiles laying with the 1 ft edge along the front and back and some sort of molding to create a border. My questions are: how much gap between the tiles and what sort of grout goes in between? Can the marble and grout be sealed to protect from stains? If so, with what? What do we use to secure the marble to the base board?
Appreciate any help,

Laura

Old 05-29-03, 07:01 PM
floorman
Visiting Guest
you're right on with the 1" of ply ,also add 1/4 inch durock and screw to the ply use thinset mortar to adhere to the durock,either skim the backs of the tile with thin set or wipe the backs with a sponge to kill the dust on the back so they will stick better,use unsanded grout

Old 05-29-03, 07:15 PM
Laura
Visiting Guest
Great, thanks. I picture the tiles about 1/4 to 1/2 inch apart, does that sound right? How about sealing the tile and grout from stains?
Thanks!

Old 05-29-03, 07:19 PM
floorman
Visiting Guest
is the marble polished?if so then no sealer is needed before grouting the grout joints on marble normally are about 1/8 to 1/16 if you want a bigger joint you will need to use sanded grout and MUST tape the joints so you dont etch the marble

Old 05-29-03, 07:24 PM
Laura
Visiting Guest
Thanks much for your help. As soon as we get that 1/2 bath put back together, I'll kick off this project and will likely be back with more questions
Laura

Old 05-29-03, 07:34 PM
floorman
Visiting Guest
we'll be here

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: