Laying Marble Tile on Bathroom Floor

Old 05-30-03, 10:22 AM
nhamoi
Visiting Guest
Laying Marble Tile on Bathroom Floor

Hi,

I'm in the process of laying marble tile (Crema Marfil Select) on the floor of our guest bathroom & have a few questions.

The bathroom is small, only about 21-23 sf. or so.

I have already removed the toilet.

Currently, the floor has vinyl over concrete slab.

I bought 2 hardibacker 500 (1/2" thick) & have already cut to size.

My questions:
1. What adhesive should I use for the hardibacker to go on top of the vinyl? I bought "liquid nails for sub floor."
2. Can I use counter-sinking screws to screw the hardiback down? Do I need a special tool to screw them down to the concrete or can I just use an electric drill?
3. I bought some white, pre-mixed thinset for the marble tiles. Is that approriate.
4. Is 1/4" notch too small for marble?
5. Is 1/8" grout line too big for marble?
6. For the toilet bowl, what do I need to replace/add? I'd bought one wax ring. Is there anything else I need to get (gasket, flange, etc.)?
7. If any of the above is in-approriate for the application, please let me know.

TIA for any help.

Regards,
NM

Old 05-30-03, 07:24 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi
You can't put any brand of concrete board over a concrete floor. Remove the vinyl and start from scratch. The concrete floor is a good surface for the marble...as long as there are not cracks in it.

You can't use pre-mixed thin set either...it's crap(excuse my french)..buy white modified thin set instead(you'll have to mix it with water)

1/4 inch notch trowel is a little small..depending on how level the floor is....1/4 by 3/8 would be better..maybe.

1/8 grout line is too large too...1/16 is better to look at,but a little more difficult to install.

You can get a flange extension kit at Home Depot...they work good and are easy to install. In the plumbing section.

Old 05-30-03, 07:32 PM
floorman
Visiting Guest
you dont need the hardi backer for the cement floor use 1/2 inch notch for the trowel size 1/16 is good size joint .The white mortar for the marfil is good also mix real thick and wipe the backs of them with a sponge before placing them in the mortar they will stick better

Old 05-31-03, 08:04 AM
nhamoi
Visiting Guest
Thank You

Thanks for all the advice.

I forgot to mention that the reason why I'm using the hardibacker is because I need to raise the level to flush (or almost flush) with the hardwood floor installed throughout the rest of the house.

The bathroom is small, so we would have had the builder do the tile for us (bought the house 2 years ago) but because we wanted our favorite hardwood installer to do the floor for us, we had to go with the basic vinyl in the bathroom. Because of the subfloor & whatnots, the result is that outside of the bathroom is almost an inch higher. Now, I'm finally getting around to do the tile (job too small for a professional tile installer).

Anyway, here're the modifications after getting help:
1. Grout lines will be 1/16"
2. Notch is now 1/2"
3. No pre-mixed thinset but modified thinset (that I have to mix myself) instead. By the way, why is pre-mixed bad? Is it because it's not strong enough?

More question for floorman: What do you mean by "real thick"? Will it be obvious what that is when I start mixing it?

Thanks again,
NM

Old 05-31-03, 10:30 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi
Peanut butter is a good consistancy...but you will know what works best when you get started on the first few peices.
Premixed thin set, is just mastic with sand in it. It would take weeks to dry properly. Modified thin set will harden overnight, since it doesn't need air to dry like the premixed stuff does.
If you want to raise the floor up, you could use self-leveling cement...it's a bit expensive, but works well when used with the products primer first.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: