Ceramic Tile removal

Old 05-30-03, 06:51 PM
mhogan1212
Visiting Guest
Ceramic Tile removal

Are there any tricks or advice for removing ceramic tile from my kitchen floor? A third of the tiles are cracked and many of them are loose. Some of the grout is loose, but most of it seems to be intact around the loose tiles. Should I pay a professional or do it myself?

Old 05-30-03, 07:04 PM
floorman
Visiting Guest
sounds like it's just laying there should come up without too much difficulty.get it started with a hammer and chisel and see how it comes up if it seems stuck pretty good you can rent a little hilti jackhammer and take it up without too much blood and sweat

Old 05-30-03, 07:18 PM
mhogan1212
Visiting Guest
Thanks! We plan to replace with Vinyl. Is it better to use vinyl sheeting or tiles that we can do ourselves? With vinyl, does the floor need any special preparation?

Old 05-30-03, 07:40 PM
floorman
Visiting Guest
what is the tile laying on now?plywood?if so then you need to scrape down the ply and get as smooth as possible and i mean smooth,if you can't then you need to pull that ply wood out if possible and replace with new.It sounds like overkill but when you go over that stuff with vinyl even if you put and underlayment down the floor will appear very rough looking.A speck looks like a mountain,so the smoother it is the better you are.For do it yourselfers i would not reccomend you try to do sheet vinyl yourself it is very difficult to deal with and you need to know how to handle it or you're gonna be in trouble go with the self stick squares but get some thin-spread adhesive to trowel on the floor first as i do'nt trust the glue on the back of those tile when you get to the point of tiling get back to us and lets us know what you're going to do before you start and we'll talk you through it have fun!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: