heat gun to take off linoluem adhesive??

Old 06-13-03, 01:41 PM
textucker
Visiting Guest
Question heat gun to take off linoluem adhesive??

I was told by a friend to get a heat gun to get the linoluem glue off the floor. I'm not sure if it is working or not?? I peeled the first layer of linoluem off the floor and have the back of the linoluem and pink stuff??? glue I think left. The heat gun doesn't seem to be doing anything, but then again is it suppose to help take the back of the linoluem and the glue off the cement floor? or am I suppose to scape the linoluem back off and then use the heat gun to get the glue off? I am willing to take this heat gun back to the store and get something that is going to work fast and easy if I need to. I still have my mothers kitchen and two bathrooms to do and would love to find a fast way to do it. BTW I am putting down ceramic tile. If someone can point me in the right direction I would be so very happy.

Thank you so much

So much to do, so little time to do it.

Old 06-14-03, 05:38 AM
LisaCea
Visiting Guest
There is no fast and easy way to do this.

Return the heat gun and get a 4 or eight inch razor scraper (tool rental company) lots of fresh blades and add blisters at the end of the day. Cusssing is optional.

We charge 33 cents a sq ft per layer of vinyl for this work and we are still underpaid.

Make sure ther is no asbestous in the floor or you'll be breathing in caroniginic dust!

Old 06-14-03, 09:29 AM
floorman
Visiting Guest
is there a layer of underlayment that this vinyl was sitting on?pick up the heat register and look in the hole to see if there is a 1/4 inch peice of wood there ,if so then pull the underlayment out with the glue and all on it ,makes it so much easier

Old 06-14-03, 10:24 AM
textucker
Visiting Guest
to take off linoluem adhesive

All I have under the linoluem is glue and concrete. I am using that heat gun and a 4 inch scraper. I got most of that backing off the floor but now have glue. What do you think about "Jasco" that I have been reading about? I am going to call Lowes and ask them what they have.

I will let you know what Lowes has in my area.

thank you

Old 06-14-03, 10:32 AM
textucker
Visiting Guest
LisaCea

Wow you are very underpaid. This is very hard work, would not want to do it for a living thats for sure.

I do have a 4" scraper and lots of blades and man do my hands hurt. The scraper doesn't seem to be doing a good job on the glue though. OH, what about about glue in a big crack that I have?? Can I just leave it in the crack? you don't JUST use a scraper do you to take off the glue do you?

Thanks LisaCea

Old 06-14-03, 11:07 AM
floorman
Visiting Guest
they have products at lowes and hd that say that it removes the adhesive from the floor.do'nt know if they work or not i've heard of hot water and towels to loosen up the glue.Take a towel and lay it on the floor and poor hot water on it and let it soak a few minutes then try the scraper

Old 06-15-03, 09:36 PM
textucker
Visiting Guest
Thanks Floorman

I called "carpet one" which are the people That I believed layed the lanolium and asked them about the pink stuff on the floor. They told me that it sounds like the filler they use under armstrong laminate. Yippee, that meens that I don't have to fill that darn crack. The man also said to use a multi purpose mortor to lay the floor because no matter what all the glue will not come up. He said to take back my heat gun ( I was going to anyway)and get more blades. I think too that I am going to use my belt sander. So how does this sound? I will also try using the water like you said.

thank you for your help.

Old 06-15-03, 09:59 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Linoleum removal

Forum posters tend to report success using heat gun and scraper to remove linoleum and lots of patience. It may take another go around to remove any backing material from substrate. Adhesive removers tend not to be recommended because of substrate contamination. There are products available to coat the floor before tile installation.

At www.laticrete.com they advertise LATAPOXY 210 Epoxy Adhesive or LATICRETE 333 Super Flexible Mortar Additive mixed with LATICRETE Floor ‘N’ Wall Thin Set as recommended to install ceramic tile over existing vinyl, linoleum, ceramic tile surfaces, or cutback adhesive. If cutback adhesive is water soluble it must be removed prior to installation of tile.

Old 06-16-03, 03:15 PM
floorman
Visiting Guest
over concrete i dont beleive the issue of contamination is even an issue not with a remover.The problem with what the carpet one guy said is that you need to remove just as much of that glue a s possible take the belt sander and knock it dow till it's almost nonexistant then the latex modified thin set will work,do'nt leave any high spots

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: