Tile over a deck

Old 06-18-03, 12:12 PM
Cliff
Visiting Guest
Tile over a deck

We are in the process of building a house that is elevated. We want to put tile on the upstairs porch (it is uncovered). There is a porch below it as well. The upstairs porch is constructed of 2 X 12 on 16" centers with 3/4" plywood decking (all pressure treated) with 1/4" of fall per 4'.

My question is: What do I need to put down first to stop water from finding it's way through? Can I use the rubber membrane like is used in the shower? If so, what it the best way to secure it so everything stays put? Or can I just put it directly on the plywood?

I'm wide open to suggestions.

Cliff

Old 06-18-03, 12:42 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Old 06-18-03, 01:03 PM
Cliff
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Thank You. That's what I needed to know.

Old 06-19-03, 05:56 PM
floorman
Visiting Guest
mapei also makes a good waterproofing membrane system that works wonderfully it's called mapeilastic it is a two part system that consists of a fiberglass mesh and a mix that you mix with water and trowel on good for areas like you'rs where you can't attach anything by fastener

Old 06-19-03, 08:08 PM
ee3
Visiting Guest
I dont beleave that either of the proposed Co. offer a primary waterproofing membrane for exterior wood decks! A wood deck is a bad idea for exterior projects .I would suggest a cement backer board be installed over a dbl. layer ply wood system. Expantion joints should be placed every 8' -12' in each direction as well as around the perimeter (see ej-171& f-144 in the tca hand book).

Old 06-21-03, 11:04 AM
floorman
Visiting Guest
oop's sorry,dropped the ball on that one,nice save ee3 was in a hurry,follow what he said and you should have no worries

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: