Tile Over Exposed Aggregate Concrete Porch

Old 06-18-03, 02:26 PM
surreyoaks
Visiting Guest
Tile Over Exposed Aggregate Concrete Porch

Does anyone have experience on installing exterior tile over exposed aggregate concrete? My covered porch on a 5 yr old house is 30'x 9'and is made of exposed aggregate concrete just like my driveway. It also has brick (one brick wide) on the 30' side where you step down to the patio. My question is: will the thinset stick to the exposed aggregate because it is rough (kills my feet to walk on it barefoot) even if it has a sealer on it or is an additive needed in the thinset. I do not see water beading up but would assume it had a sealer put on it when it was new. I am also presuming that I am not to use Hardibacker board between the aggregate and the tile but am willing to do so if needed so long as it doesn't show on the 30' edge at the step if a Schluter?? nose edge can be installed. Any help is sincerely appreciated.

Old 06-19-03, 06:03 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If it were my house, I'd tile over it it a heartbeat.

I would mix some Flexbond thinset and use the flat side of the trowel first to spread the thinset out some and to get it into ruff surface. Then flip the trowel over and using ½ x ½ notching, comb the thinset in one direction. When you plop your tile, you want all the air to push out through your comb marks in the thinset. So which direction you comb and then plop is crucial. If you trap air, you will have hollow sounding tiles.

Old 06-19-03, 04:51 PM
floorman
Visiting Guest
first off you need to find a good porcelain tile that is rated for outdoor use, an impervious tile,also you'll need to get a thinset that not only has latex in the mix but one you can mix with liquid latex as well,also mix latex in the grout too it will stand up to elements alot better than just mixing with water

Old 06-19-03, 07:11 PM
ee3
Visiting Guest
generaly its one or the other either a polimeric(dry)latex or a liqiud latex mix. dont add a liquid latex to a dry latex.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: