Laminate and Tile installation

Old 06-25-03, 12:50 PM
Melissa VB
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Laminate and Tile installation

Hi everyone,

I know that there have been a couple of questions related to this topic, but the answer seems to vary with the individual situation so I thought I would throw this out there. We have a two story house that was built in Nov 99. Currently upstairs we have carpet in the bedroom, bathroom, and bathroom closet. In the actual lavaratory there is linoleum. We are replacing the carpet in the bedroom with a quick interlock laminate, and replacing the carpet in the bathroom / closet and the linoleum in the lav with ceramic tile. The subfloor is wood / plywood. Questions. Do we need to put anything under the laminate that we install in the bedroom? I know that there is a padding type material that you can buy, but our installer told us that we didn't have to have it. Our bedroom is over the garage, so we are not overly concerned about noise below. Also for the carpeted areas that we are replacing with tile, is there anything special that we need to do to the subfloor prior to installation (other than removing the pad and debris)? Lastly in the lav, do we absolutely have to pull up the linoleum before we install the ceramic tile. There is just the one layer of linoleum, and it is structurally sound (no lifting).

Sorry, one more question. We are thinking about tiling downstairs as well. Is there anything special we need to do to prep the concrete for the tile, and again, in some areas the tile will be replacing one layer of linoleum, do we need to pull it up before we install the tile? Also, can you install tile over tile?

I realize this is a lot to answer. Thanks!

--Melissa

Old 06-25-03, 03:07 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Let's start with the laminate, you will need the pad for it, unless it already has it on the back, or you will have one noisey floor.

On your ceramic over plywood, other than having a clean floor, make sure there are no squeaks or you'll never be able to fix them once the ceramic is installed. You will also need 1/2 inch cement backer boards for the underlayment.

And you will need to pull up the Vinyl floor in the concrete and scrape it clean of vinyl and glue residue.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: