Tiling painted, bumpy brick fireplace

Old 07-24-03, 12:26 PM
Tammy
Visiting Guest
Tiling painted, bumpy brick fireplace

Hi-
I've read previous threads re. tile over painted brick, with the suggested method of removing the paint then tiling away. My situation differs because the "face" of the fireplace is rough, "bumpy" (uneven) brick that is also painted. The hearth and sides are "smooth" faced brick. What is recommended for prepping to tile - hardiboard/thinset/tile? Do I need to remove the paint before thinset/screwing in backerboard?

Also, what is the suggested spacing (12x12 porcelin tile) on a fireplace?
Any help would be appreciated

Old 07-26-03, 01:40 PM
floorman
Visiting Guest
the problem with this the uneven brick obviously,how uneven is this?is it like stone that protrudes from the face?or is like little pebbles ?if the latter then not much would have to be done to set tile over it,if the first then you would have to attach some chicken wire or lathe to the face and then scratch coat then tile

Old 07-27-03, 04:03 AM
Tammy
Visiting Guest
Floorman-
it's not exactly like pebbles - I guess it's more "wavy bumps" for lack of a better description. There are indentations, then protrusions - as much as 1/4"
If you suggest the chicken wire or lathe, can you please further explain?
Thanks tons!

Old 07-27-03, 11:53 AM
floorman
Visiting Guest
if they are small bumps then go ahead the way you are ,my concern was they were like a rock face or stone where they protruded a couple of inches or so.Make sure you use thin set and not mastic and comb not only the surface of the fireplace but the tile as well to fill any voids that may be left

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: