Porcelain tiles and shower stall

Old 07-28-03, 11:28 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Porcelain tiles and shower stall

Hello,

I'm in the process of planning a bathroon reno involving the installation of a new porcelain tile floor and new acrylic shower stall. The base of the shower stall is semi circular and probably a little tricky to easily fit the 12" tiles neatly around. Is it OK to tile the floor under the shower stall floor and then caulk around the base with clear silicone?

Thank you!

Chris

Old 07-28-03, 01:15 PM
ee3
Visiting Guest
THE CAULK AROUND THE PERIMETER IS FINE,BUT THE 12X12 ON THE FLOOR MIGHT BE A PROBLEM .. HARD TO GET TO FOLLOW THE SLOPE AND WITH LACK OF GROUT JOINTS MIGHT BE SLIPP----RY

Old 07-28-03, 03:00 PM
Hello ee3,

Thank you for the reply. I think I was not clear in my question. To clarify: The shower stall comes with a base. I will not use the 12" x 12 tiles as the floor of the shower, but rather place the acrylic shower base on top of the tile. Does this pose a problem? Are there any special considerations I need to make?

Thank you.

Chris

Old 07-28-03, 03:58 PM
D
Shower floors generally slope towards the drain, it's next to impossible to follow the slope to the drain with the 12x12's. As ee3 said, smaller tiles will be easier to follow the slope of the floor and more grout lines will give your feet better traction than 12x12 tiles. In a shower bigger is not better.

The surround can be put on top of the tile and caulked. I would opt for smaller tile though.

Post back and let us know how it goes.

Old 07-28-03, 04:57 PM
ee3
Visiting Guest
I will echo what Dan said in a shower bigger is not better unless your in prison or with some one speacial........

Old 07-28-03, 06:15 PM
Hey ee3,

NO prison time for this lad. My wife might lock me up if this reno job takes more than two weeks though......

I'm not using the 12" tiles for the shower floor. I'm placing an acrylic preformed shower floor on TOP of the 12" tiles. It seem easier than cutting the tiles to fit the shape of the preformed shower base. Do you see any problems with this approach?

Thanks,

Chris

Old 07-28-03, 07:09 PM
ee3
Visiting Guest
now I got it...I'm not much of a expert on preformed bases however some of them need mortar under them to support them.(inbetween the tiles and new base) good luck and report back and let us know if your marriage survives it.

Old 08-13-03, 07:08 PM
Hey ee3,

Bathroom reno is finished. Looks great! Marriage survived...

Thanks,

CS

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: