ceramic tile under vanity??

Old 07-31-03, 06:08 AM
zig
Visiting Guest
ceramic tile under vanity??

all right, this is my first house. i am redoing the bathroom before moving in. i am replacing the tub, shower tile, and floor tile. currently there is a nice vanity in there. i haven't taken it out yet. there is a vinyl floor in now also. i started peeling up the flooring. there is a subfloor underneath. i think i have figured out what is there. looks like the original tile on the bottom, 2 1/4" plywood in half, then a 1/2" plywood on the other part under the vanity. i don't know why they used different layers like that. but do i need to tear out the vanity and put my new ceramic tile under there?? i'm not sure if i need to tear up the old subfloor or not also. it looks like with the ceramic tile it would bring my floor right up to the threshold. so obviously there would be a floor height change when walking in. there are already is now. if i leave the subfloor i was thinking of tiling around the vanity. i have molding around the vanity anyway to cover up any gaps. or do i take out the vanity, remove the subfloor and either put new 1/4" subfloor down or put the new stuff right on the old tile... many options here i guess... sorry for the long post, i have lots of things going through my head... and another thing, i am not going to live here forever, so i don't care about 20 years from now when it has to be remodeled again...
thanks..

Old 07-31-03, 05:03 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Since it's already there, don't tile under the vanity. If you did, you might have to redo the supply plumbing and the drain, and you might have to move a backsplash, mirror, and light.

Old 07-31-03, 06:21 PM
zig
Visiting Guest
that is what i am thinking... i received a suggestion from someone at work today. chisel out the threshold and put ceramic in it's place. the transition is to carpet, so i'll get a small transition piece from the store. i've got the 1st layer of plywood up. next the tub comes out, then the fun starts of putting it all back together...
thanks...

Old 07-31-03, 08:29 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Ceramic

I agree with leaving the vanity in place and tiling around. If the ceramic tile floor is higher than carpet, perhaps you can turn an tuck carpet against tile.

I am concerned about installing tile on the plywood. Although some say exterior grade plywood is acceptable, concrete underlayment board is recommended. If there is a layer of ceramic under the layers of floor coverings, I wonder if they covered over because floor tile and grout cracked. I wonder what's under that?

John, what do you think?

Old 08-01-03, 07:33 AM
zig
Visiting Guest
the tile and carpet should be pretty level. so i'm not to worried about that. but the material to put the tile on does... i've heard from people either way. use cement board and plywood is fine... what does everyone think??
as for what's underneath... it was probably old or cracked. instead of the previous owner taking it out, they just put plywood with linoleum over... i know someone at work that tiled right over his old tile. he said it's been fine for 4-5 yrs.. it will be a big job if i have to pull everything out... how thick is cement board?? i might be able to put it in now... i'll have to check it out..

Old 08-01-03, 05:30 PM
T
Ceramic tile

Concrete underlayment board is recommended, 1/4" or 1/2" (prferred). Installing ceramic over ceramic is fine as long as existing tile is well bonded to the substrate and there are no visible cracks in tile or grout. Tiling over cracked tile is a major concern. Grout and tile usually crack because of movement in subfloor. Tiling over cracked tile will tend to result in cracked new tile because subfloor issues have not been addressed.

Tiling over vinyl is not recommended. It sets you up for adhesion problems. Cushioned vinyl will move beneath tile and result in cracked grout and possibly cracked tile. Concrete underlayment board can be installed over vinyl. Height problems must be taken into consideration when installing new floors and substrates over old.

Old 08-01-03, 08:52 PM
zig
Visiting Guest
my deal is that i want to install ceramic tile over interior grade plywood. i know this isn't the best way. i was talking to a guy at work and he said he has installed ceramic tile on plywood many times with no problems and for a long period of time. the house was built in 1959, so it is pretty solid. i would run lots of screws in the board also to make sure it is real solid. i am hoping this is good. i think it should be. i may look into the cement board also. thanks for the help...

Old 08-01-03, 09:23 PM
T
underlayment for ceramic tile

Concrete underlayment is the way to go based on all the research and experience with forum posts and professional ceramic tile websites. If you insist on plywood underlayment, for ceramic tile, exterior grade plywood does pop up from time to time in forum posts.

My question is that if you are going to do a DIY project, why don't you do it from the get go with the best materials and advice to prevent problems. As you know, $$ is hard to come by. If you are going to do a project, do it right and there will be no heart-aches later.

Old 08-02-03, 05:04 PM
floorman
Visiting Guest
we used to lay tile over ply all the time before c.b.u.'s came into existance,the problems with setting over the ply is that sometimes, not all the time,the plywood will delaminate and cause failure of the tile,also the plywood swells and moves with the humidity levels and cause failure,now this does not happen all the time and is not the reccomended way of doing things nowdays,what we are trying to do is to educate you on what may happen if you do it this way or that ,if you insist on putting it over ply then make sure it is screwed and glued and down real good to help ward off the crack gremlins,also something that may help is to add latex to the mix instead of water,make sure you get a mortar mix that you can mix with liquid latex though

Old 08-04-03, 05:14 AM
zig
Visiting Guest
all right everyone i have given in.... i am going to put 1/4" backerboard down first before the tile... i was at home depot saturday for there how to class. and they carry it in the thickness i need... the only reason i didn't want to use cement board was because of the thickness. 1/2" would have to much. but the guy there said, yea 1/4" will be just fine with all the floor i have... i don't really want to tear it all out. so i'll have old ceramic tile, 1/4" plywood, then 1/4" backerboard. should be plenty.. just have to make sure it's all level... and i'll be using plenty of screws....
thanks..

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: