Backer board thickness with walls?

Old 08-17-03, 05:28 PM
tolken4
Visiting Guest
Backer board thickness with walls?

Ok, here is the question. I have just ripped out all of the tile and walls in a small bathroom. I have just finished the drywall and am ready to start on the tile. Here is the problem and plan. I am looking and 3/4" plywood which, comes almost to the drywall. Do I purchased 1/2" hardibacker and am wondering if I just cut the drywall to accept the board? Or do I just run the board up to the drywall and not under? So confused on how to proceed. does the tile get placed right up to the wall or should I cut room for the tile and the backer boared to fit under the walls? Not to mention byt the door, what do I do there. Basically, if anyone who does this for a living could advise me on what the standard is I would appreciate it...

Old 08-19-03, 01:40 PM
MusicField
Visiting Guest
1/2 inch thick backerboard is used in lieu of drywall behind any tile that regularly gets wet, such as in a shower or tub surround. 1/2 inch drywall is used under any tile that does not generally get wet. The backerboard and the drywall are the same thickness, so butt the edges togther and finish the joint with special fiberglass mesh tape (designed for this purpose) and "mud" it with latex modified cement, then tile over it.

Old 08-19-03, 01:40 PM
MusicField
Visiting Guest
1/2 inch thick backerboard is used in lieu of drywall behind any tile that regularly gets wet, such as in a shower or tub surround. 1/2 inch drywall is used under any tile that does not generally get wet. The backerboard and the drywall are the same thickness, so butt the edges togther and finish the joint with special fiberglass mesh tape (designed for this purpose) and "mud" it with latex modified cement, then tile over it.

Old 08-21-03, 06:54 PM
tolken4
Visiting Guest
So sorry. I read what I had wrote and of course I left out a lot...

Let's try again. I am laying the tile on the floor. That's a little detail I left out. Tiling the floor and I am curious how to proceed with the doorway cut. meaning is it standard to under cut the dorr for both the tile and the backer board? Does the transition strip go on the backer board or no backer board under that part be the door?

Thanks for your help and sorry for the above question. I am writing it and I don't even understand it.

Old 08-22-03, 05:08 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It's still hard to understand what you are asking, but yes, it's customary for the tile and backer to go under the door jambs and casings. Doors are removed and cut off so they'll clear the flooring.

Don't know what transition you are making -- carpeting, wood flooring, . . . .

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: