Tile against baseboards and door molding

Old 08-18-03, 01:33 PM
John-in-Dallas
Visiting Guest
Tile against baseboards and door molding

The tile in my kitchen is butted up against the baseboards and moulding, with grout between the baseboards and tile and between the moulding and tile. I've always understood that baseboards should be installed on top of the tile, after the tile is put down. I've also understood that moulding should be trimmed just a bit above the tile and that the tile should be slipped under the moulding. First question: am I right and, if so, second question: is there any way to correct this, short of taking up all the tile and doing it over?

Thanks for your sage advise!

John

Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-03, 06:11 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes, you are right. You can install shoe molding (similar but not the same as quarter-round) against the baseboard and on top of the tile. But if it ain't broke, don't fix it. The shoe molding will only solve an appearance problem and if you don't have an appearance problem, and if the tile has already been there a few years, then I'd just leave it alone.

If the tile is relatively new (i.e., it has not already stood the test of the seasons), then you might consider removing the baseboards, removing the grout at the edges to restore the expansion gap, reinstalling the baseboards, and installing the shoe molding.

Old 08-18-03, 06:36 PM
John-in-Dallas
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the input. Actually, I'm thinking about replacing some broken tiles and thought I might as well take care of the problem at the same time. It's not very attractive as it is, but I'm not sure I want to undertake the task of fixing it!

John