Did I screw up?

Old 08-20-03, 03:13 PM
jdoggy
Visiting Guest
Did I screw up?

I have an old house. The sub floor is pine and then there is an oak floor on top off that for a total thicknes of about 1 1/4 inch
I then leveled off some low spots and put a layer of 1/2 ply on top. Then I layed my ceramic tile on top of that.
the problem is that a few of the tiles are loose and the grout has crqcked in a few places. This is only after a week of being laid.
The room gets high traffic and we tried not to disturb it as much as possible while everything set up but I did walk on it so. Could this be the cause of my problems or should I of laid cement board down first?
Thanks

Old 08-20-03, 04:30 PM
floorman
Visiting Guest
although not a reccomended practice any longer you can successfully set tile over plywood with a few modifications to the way it is set.Lets start with the way you fastened the ply to the t&g floor nailed,screwed?size notch on the trowel?what kind of thin set?how was it mixed?get back to us and let us know

Old 08-20-03, 05:20 PM
jdoggy
Visiting Guest
The ply was nailed to the sub
I used a 1/4 inch notch trowel
Mapei grout was used
and Type 1 thin set was used

This was my first attempt at a tile floor and I have the gut feeling that I screwed up
Thanks

Old 08-21-03, 12:46 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Some things to consider:
You say room gets high traffic. Type 1 adhesive is for low traffic residential applications.
What size tile did you put down. Type 1 adhesive is "usually" used for tile 6" sq. and under (not 12"x12"). If you laid 12"sq. tiles the adhesive probably never dried before you grouted. It's probably still not dry!
All of this is a quess because you state that you used Type 1 thinset. Are you sure it was labled as thinset and not adhesive?

Old 08-25-03, 06:56 PM
jdoggy
Visiting Guest
I ended up tearing everything up.
I am at the point now where I just finished putting down 1/2 inch backer with thinset mortar and 1 1/4 gal screws

Hope it works out the second time around

Old 08-27-03, 05:40 PM
J
You haven't considered whether the framing is sufficient for a ceramic tile installation to begin with. Do you know what size joists you have and how far apart they are? Also, what is their length between supports?

I would check all of this out before putting down tile again.

Old 08-30-03, 05:33 PM
floorman
Visiting Guest
john has a good point ,also need to look at the size of the notch o f the trowel alittle small alos nedds to be 1/4x 3/8x1/4 for up to 16" tile and a 1/2" notch for anything over that

Old 08-31-03, 06:18 AM
jdoggy
Visiting Guest
the framing in my house is real beefy
I would have to go down and measure everything but it is all sufficient.--the joists I know are 3x12's and they are on about a 14 inch center-- I checked all this out a few years ago because I had a large aquarium in there(150 gallons)--back then I had a contractor come in and inspect everything and he was impressed with the girth of everything
I laid everything over the past couple of days and everything looks alot better
I used a 1/4x3/8 notch
Thanks for your help

Old 08-31-03, 07:57 AM
J
I would have used a backer board or a membrane, but your method should work if you used a thin set that is rated for plywood. You must also allow it to cure completely, which might take several days. You need to keep people off the tiles in the meantime. I know it's not easy, but that's the way to do it.

Old 08-31-03, 12:11 PM
jdoggy
Visiting Guest
ya must of missed my post where I tore everything up and put down 1/2 backer and used thin set

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: