Just how many coats of sealer is enough?

Old 08-21-03, 12:04 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Just how many coats of sealer is enough?

The grout cured for 3 days. i put on the first application of sealer (Tile Lab) with a little artist brush, just on the grout (not on the tile itself). by the time i got to the end, the beginning had all soaked in. so i did it again. and again. and again. SEVEN applications and the stuff is STILL being absorbed (or drying). the bottle says the grout is sealed when it stops absorbing the sealer. and something about wiping off excess, but i've never had any excess to wipe off! so..........how much is enough??? should i keep doing it until the sealer just absolutely does NOT soak in anymore and just sits on top?

also, the grout color i chose was supposed to be a tan color, about the color of oak. it was that color to begin with, when it was wet, but when it dried, it dried a lot lighter (light beige). the first application of the sealer darkened it back to the color i wanted, but every time it's dried again, it's gone back to the light color. what happened?? is there a way to get it the dark, wet color at this stage in the game? the tile is in an entryway and also on the fireplace hearth, so i wanted the darker color to help hide dirt from traffic & ashes/soot.

thanks!

Old 08-22-03, 06:29 AM
Jim Schnasa
Visiting Guest
I normally put on 2 coats of sealer. Is your grout sort of soft and powdery? Or is it hard like concrete?

Old 08-22-03, 06:42 AM
Jim: it's pretty hard like concrete, i guess. i haven't taken a chisel to it or anything to really know for sure. but it doesn't seem to be powdery at all.

i put one last coat on it last night (#8) and called it good.

the grout in the entry area seems to be acting a little better. the first coat soaked in pretty much immediately. the 2nd coat took a little longer. so i think i'll do a 3rd and final coat just to be sure.

any thoughts on the color situation? it's ended up being so much lighter than what i thought it would. is that just normal?

Old 08-22-03, 07:01 PM
Jim Schnasa
Visiting Guest
The reason I asked if the grout was hard or powdery, I had a sealing job and the grout was mixed wrong and the sealer soaked in at a faster rate than normal. Now on the color it will always look darker when wet.

Old 08-23-03, 04:12 PM
J
Hi Annette,

Not to knock anybody's product, but Tile Lab is pretty far down on the list when it comes to impregnating sealers. Aquamix is much better, and there's another one out there they don't like me mentioning here. Maybe because it's my brand.

On sealers in general, though, don't expect to not see surface wetting. The impregnators work by going just below the surface and setting up a barrier. It will still look like the grout is wetting through, but it's not. It will dry up very fast when the source of the water is removed.

Old 08-24-03, 12:41 PM
D
I would never consider recommending a quality product to be spam. We post links to many products and a link to yours may come in handy.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: