Porcelain Tile

Old 08-26-03, 12:27 AM
RMLaRatt
Visiting Guest
Porcelain Tile

I am planning to lay porcelain tile over a plywood subfloor. I have purchased the flex adhesive. However, I understand that a cement backerboard is reccommended. This leaves me with 2 questions. First, what am I risking exactly but just using the plywood as a base. Second, if I do install the backboard, the backboard will be higher than the hardwood floor it meets, and of course the tile will be even higher... How would I make a smooth transition, I dont mind the height difference so much as the way it looks.
Thanks,
Rob.

Old 08-26-03, 01:24 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I am by no means a tile expert but I am learning quick (and the hard way ). I would recommend putting the backer board down. If the floor flexes and the thinset flexes too great, but don't forget TILE DOES NOT FLEX. So if everything is flexing underneath guess wht happens to the beautifull new porcelain.......you guessed it....snaparoonie !! As for the transition from tile to hardwood ask the person where you are purchasing the tile from to show you transition peices. Big box store (Home Depot and Lowes) also carry several of these peices to accomodate the height difference in floors. Best of luck to you.

Old 08-27-03, 05:43 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Rob,

There are requirements for joist size, spacing and length which will have a bearing on whether your floor is sufficient for ceramic tile no matter what you put on the subfloor. Do you know what type of framing you have?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: