how do I remove wall tile completely?

Old 08-26-03, 10:19 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question how do I remove wall tile completely?

I have a very small bathroom that has ceramic tile on the bottom half of the walls. It has a coat of epoxy paint on top. I am wanting to remove the tile completely and put up beadboard instead. Any advice?
Thanks!
Rory

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-03, 04:19 AM
To remove the tile, you will need to remove the drywall behind it as well. To avoid ripping out all the drywall up to the ceiling, I have in a similar situation sawn through the sheetrock with a drywall saw in line with the top edge of the tile. I then demolished the wall from this point down. As I was going back with new tile, I replaced the substrate with Durock cement board. However in your case you can probably just use greenboard since you will be installing the beadboard over that.

Old 08-27-03, 08:06 AM
R
Re: how do I remove wall tile completely

Thanks for your response. So there is no way to use a putty knife and hammer and chisel away to remove the tile without destroying the drywall behind it?

Old 08-27-03, 08:09 AM
I think you'll find that the drywall is a goner when you try to start removing the tile by any method. My suggestion to cut above the tile is just to limit how much drywall you have to reinstall and finish.

Old 08-27-03, 08:47 AM
ee3
Visiting Guest
AS cheap as dry wall is and guessing your time is worth something , get a sledge hammer,pry bar, a 12 pack of beer, safty glasses and have at it...

Old 02-25-07, 01:27 PM
S
Removing ceramic tile

I agree with ee3. I just removesd over 400 4" tiles from bathroom walls and salvaged most of them while destroying the drywall anyway. The big deal is that there is no market for used tile, so why bother?
skiphbg

Old 02-26-07, 04:18 AM
As this is a 3 1/2 year old post, I imagine that the OP is long past this stage in his project.

Old 03-03-07, 11:53 AM
S
tiole removal

I agree that the post I refereced is out of date, but that doesn'e mean the question still isn't in my mind, or someone elses. Enough said.