outdoor porcelain tile

Old 09-09-03, 11:27 AM
tereafix
Visiting Guest
outdoor porcelain tile

I, too, want to install porcelain tiles over cement (outdoors). What type of porcelain tile should I be looking to use? I want it to LAST! What is the average cost so I have an idea? Thanks!

Old 09-13-03, 03:26 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Nowadays, you don't have to worry too much about the type of porcelain as you did many moons ago. You should be concerned with the texture, color and sheen of the product.

Also, you should ensure your concrete slab, whether on-grade or elevated is suitable for installing tile. Usually, this involves putting a membrane down to allow the concrete to "breathe", while providing uncoupling abilities to the tile on top. You'll have a much longer-lasting installation this way.

If you tell us where the slab is, how thick it is, etc. -- then we can help you some more

David

Old 09-13-03, 08:08 AM
floorman
Visiting Guest
you need to make sure this is an impervious tile that is rated fo r outdoor use,if you dont the tile will absorb too much moisture and will fail,the type of tile are vitreous,semi vitreous , non, and impervious the latter 2 you can use for outdoor use

Old 09-13-03, 08:56 AM
Maybe a typo, floorman?

It's actually vitreous and impervious that are normally related to using outdoors. Non-vitreous tile bodies accept more than 7% water.

The MR number (1-4) is the recognized standard. Most people will use MR1 and MR2 for outdoor tiles, but some places in Europe, people use MR3. Non-vitreous is MR4.

Old 09-13-03, 07:22 PM
J
Depending on the area of the country, the tiles can be installed directly to the concrete.

What are you up to, David?

Old 09-13-03, 07:24 PM
Me? I'm just about to do a certain vermontdoc's estimate tomorrow. You?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: