Putting Tile over Wallpapered BR wall

Old 09-23-03, 08:15 AM
ricciuto
Visiting Guest
Question Putting Tile over Wallpapered BR wall

I plan on putting ceramic tile, up 4 feet on my bathroom walls then putting wall paper on the remainder of the walls. The current wall already has wall paper. I do not plan on putting backer board on the wall as it will present a depth problem. Can I put ceramic tile over the existing wall papered wall? What prep needs to take place in order to do this? I intend on doing this work myself.

Old 09-23-03, 10:05 AM
ee3
Visiting Guest
I would take down the wall paper.Remember dry wall can not get wet!!

Old 09-23-03, 10:42 AM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
A tile wall is not waterproof. Moisture still penetrates, particularly the grout lines.

Old 09-25-03, 07:29 AM
ricciuto
Visiting Guest
Question

After the wall paper is removed, what prep work is involved with the gypsum board that is left in place prior to installing the ceramic tile?

Old 09-25-03, 06:03 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Remove the drywall and put up cement board of the same thickness. If you do not, your wall will eventually fail. It's easy to do.

Old 09-26-03, 12:24 PM
ee3
Visiting Guest
Is this in the shower?? If not water has nothing to do with this. and dry wall will be fine, it needs to be in good condition after the wall paper is removed, if not it will need to be replaced.

Old 09-29-03, 05:28 AM
ricciuto
Visiting Guest
Wink

There will be no Tile in the shower area...All tile is on the perimeter walls of the bathroom. I am considering removal of the drywall and replacing with the backerboard. Seems as though the more I read about it the preferred way by professionals is to use the backerboard. Thanks for everyones responses. I appreciate it. This work won't take place until the I get time off during the holiday season. The biggest job is selecting the colors and vanity cabinet and top. I leave that to the wife....Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: