can artificial marble be cut?

Old 10-02-03, 09:31 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
can artificial marble be cut?

I have bathroom sink-vanity in one piece made of artificial marble. The sinks are scratched and gouged and have little cracks where the drain is that are stained. The vanity top, surrounding the sink, is not in bad shape so I was wondering if I could cut the sink out and set a new one in. I'm trying to make this a low cost, easy project. Easier than taking out the old sink and vanity with the wraparound backsplash attached to the wall.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-03, 02:37 PM
PaulWhite
Visiting Guest
It sounds like you have cultured marble. If you do, you can cut it with an angle grinder and a diamond blade. I have never cut a sink out of the top, but I see no reason why you could not cut it out and make your idea work. Just use a good diamond blade. It will be a VERY dusty job. (Cultured marble is just a glorified plastic.) Carbide tooling can cut it but it wrecks havoc on the tooling. Good luck, and let me know how it goes.

Old 10-09-03, 02:52 PM
A cultured marble bit on a router will do it.

Old 10-10-03, 12:38 PM
PaulWhite
Visiting Guest
Another idea would be to use a rotozip with a cultured marble bit in it. As goofy as that sounds it just may work. You would have to go slow, but there are rotozip bits that would cut the cultured marble.

Old 10-10-03, 06:35 PM
And be prepared for the dust storm!