Shower drain cover

Old 10-13-03, 03:34 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shower drain cover

The builder attempted to cement the drain cover on the 1" tiles, instead of fastening it with hardware. Twice now, the drain cover has come loose. Can I safely drill holes thru the tiles and crank some 2" or 3 " screws through them until I hit something, or will I crack the tiles? I'd also be glad to hear any other repair options you may have.
Thanks in advance.

Old 10-14-03, 08:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
This should maybe have been moved to the tile forum. Depends on what kind of tile you've got, but I'd use a diamond or carbide tipped bit if you were going to try & predrill to use screws to fasten the drain cover in. Good luck.

Old 10-15-03, 10:25 AM
jpe55071
Visiting Guest
Drilling through the tile should not be a problem. You could use a good masonry bit and don't force it, let the bit do the work. It might take a minute or two to get through the tile.

However, my concern would be drilling through the rubber membrane that should be installed below the tile and 1" - 1.5" of mortar. If done properly, this is your watertight seal to prevent water leakage bellow or around the shower floor.

If your builder used the rite type of drain there should have been screw holes to attach the cover with.

What does your drain assembly look like?

Old 10-15-03, 05:42 PM
ee3
Visiting Guest
Thats the question I have ,is what do you have here the strainer of the drain screws in to something.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: