Toilet Bowl Mosaic?

Old 10-23-03, 01:32 AM
peaches
Visiting Guest
Toilet Bowl Mosaic?

Here's the story: A (cough) relative of mine just moved out of my downstairs after living there for some years. The toilet bowl in his bathroom is badly damaged - no porcelain left in the bottom of the bowl. I suppose replacing the toilet would be best, and actually wouldn't be too expensive, but I don't want to go through the trouble of doing that. If I could somehow repair the toilet, I would prefer to do that.

Some ideas I've had - porcelain repair kits. Are they sufficient for large areas? Do they work decent?

Then the bizarre idea: I have some a lot of broken tile that I've wanted to do a mosaic project with. Could I tile the inside of the toilet bowl? My main concerns would be: 1. Sanitary: It may be hard to clean if it's not a completely smooth surface - I mean this is a toilet after all, and who knows what kind of nasty stuff would get stuck in the grout (well, I do know, but I'm not going to say). 2. Waterproofness: Well installed tile is usually impervious to water, but can it be completely submerged in water all the time without falling apart?

Old 10-23-03, 10:36 AM
Kongar123456
Visiting Guest
Hmmm

I'd just replace the bowl. Toilet bowls are SO cheap compared to the amount of effort it would take to repair it IMHO.

It's not like there's a law stopping you on how you repair your toilet bowl - but tiling sounds like an awful lot more work than replacing the bowl.

Just my 2 cents - GL on your project

Kongar

Old 10-23-03, 10:43 AM
Colleen Swartz
Visiting Guest
mosiacs

I feel there is a time to be pretty and a time to be functional. I would much rather have my toilet fall into the "functional" category.

My girlfriend did a killer mosiac with broken tiles as a backsplash above her range in the kitchen. She simply drew a pattern on a piece of 1/4" plywood and then commenced to cement the broken pieces of tile on the plywood in an appealing pattern. Screws held the plywood to the wall and then the professional tile guy came in, laid the wall tile around it, and grouted the whole thing in together. It is very pretty and I think you would have more pleasure showing it to guests in your home as your piece of art than you would with the wrecked toilet bowl mosiac.

Good luck!

Old 10-25-03, 02:19 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
My new toilets cost me $62 each, I then got a rebate from the city for $10 on each toilet, because we were replacing the old big water tank toilets we had that work perfect, with water saver 1.6 gallon toilets.

I did the replacements myself, which is really easy if you know how to turn the water off and turn a wrench. Also you need to be able to carry the toilet.

You need a wax ring seal for the flange, and Maybe, replace the water supply line or the rubber washers if it looks like it is on its last legs.

Cleaning that poop trap is going to be impossible if you tile it. Why do you think toilets are smooth? For sanitary reasons.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: