Fine split on ceramic tiles

Old 10-28-03, 02:16 PM
water0627
Visiting Guest
Angry Fine split on ceramic tiles

Howdy all,

In my home that is less than 2 years old, I found two ceramic tiles that have a very small split that runs through them. They are in an out of a way place that no one walks in, e.g. one in a corner and the other near a bath tub.

Can I patch these and then seal them somehow? Both tiles are very firm and no noticable signs of movement.

I prefer to patch them now rather than replacing them.

Thanks

Steve

Old 10-28-03, 03:37 PM
A
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a hairline crack run all the way up a shower stall. You could only see it if the light was just right. I don't see how you could patch this as it's almost a "microscopic" crack in my case and nothing going to get in there - even water. I live in CA and the only thing I can figure that caused this is an earthquake shifted the wall.

Old 10-29-03, 07:06 AM
water0627
Visiting Guest
Alex,

My splits are not hairline and are very noticeable. I'm just wanting to do a patch at this point in time.

Steve

Old 10-29-03, 08:42 AM
A
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How about put some silicone in the crack to prevent water from getting behind the tiles and ruining the whole install?

Old 10-29-03, 03:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think water getting into the crack is going to be a problem enough to ruin the whole thing, but water sitting in a cool place without air movement could. MOLD.

Sorry to say you have movement somewhere, that isn't going to fix itself.

Cracked concrete foundation?

Epoxy, but the problem is finding something to get it into the crack with, before it sets up. They make syringes for flooring repairs. You might find what your looking for at your local flooring distributors and supply house. NOT THE RETAILER that sells flooring! Distributors can be found in most metropolitan phone books under "carpet supplies" or "flooring supplies"

Old 10-29-03, 05:11 PM
water0627
Visiting Guest
Carpets Done Wright,

Thank you for the tip. I'll check out our local Lowes store for epoxy and a needle to eject it.

I agree with the movement, most likely the concrete pad (used commonly here in Florida) has shifted causing these splits. The home is just under 2 years old.

I'll try the tip and keep you all posted.

Steve

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: