Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Wall and Flooring Indoor Tiling
Reload this Page >

Thinset? Mastic? Adhesive? What do I use on drywall and thin sheetmetal?

Old 11-04-03, 03:21 PM
BPRescue
Visiting Guest

I am applying 16 inch, ½ inch travertine over a zero clearance fireplace. The area surrounding the fireplace was drywall when I ripped out the old tile, so I replaced it with the same. In addition, I will have a ledge above the fireplace that will also have bottom/face and top tiled as well. This shelf protrudes about 2 inches from the wall.

In any event, I am tossed on what to use for the tile. The compound the original contractor used was mastic, though the tile was ceramic. I am told by the tile store that I should use durabond flex thinset, though using thinset on drywall to me seems wrong (I could be wrong) In addition, I was told by other parties that since my travertine is crème colored, I should use white thinset as not to discolor the tile.

Also, about 4 inches of this tile will overlay the fireplace. The surface of the fireplace is metal. I could tell that the original contractor used some form of adhesive from a tube and it was strong, but uncertain what it was, or if it even was correct for that matter. My friendly Home Depot representative stated I should use firestop sealant, which to me is a "sealant" and not an adhesive. So, he was obviously incorrect, though I still am uncertain what to use. In theory, the zero clearance fireplace metal area is not supposed to get hot, though with this directly above the FP, I am certain it gets warm. To me, liquid nails would work well, but I am unsure that it would handle the heat.

Any comments would be great!

Thank you.

Old 11-06-03, 04:08 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Use the thin set. It's the way to go. Don't overlay the tiles four inches, only about two inches at most. Nothing (good) is going to stick to the metal.

Old 11-06-03, 05:34 PM
ace720
Visiting Guest
I had a similar situation. I installed 12x12 travertine onto the drywall using thinset(white), and used Liquid Nails to adhere the tiles to the metal fireplace surround (this is what the previous installer had done as well). I made sure the liquid nails did not ooze out past the edge of the tile and metal.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: